Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 30 January 2012

Shoveler day

Dull and cold this morning. Another poor day for taking pictures; but I'll inflict one upon you, at the end.

The Song Thrush was in good voice, and another, further along round the north lake.

At the top end, along with the usual birds, a pair of Shoveler. Good to see them.

The Crows were stalking me, as I made my way round the south lake; and as I made my way towards the far end, a big flock of Lapwing were circling overhead.

A pair of Goosander were swimming just off the island, and a big group of Black-headed Gulls were soon put into the air, as a large juvenile gull swooped low over them. Maybe a Great Black-backed; but not my strong point.........especially juvenile gulls.

By the offices, a very vocal group of Siskin, in one of the trees by the small ponds.

Over on Cormorant island, two pair of Goosanders looked very settled, as they sat on the island,




and back at the car park, the feeders were quite busy.


Short post today, but some good birds, as always.










Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  38

11 comments:

  1. I used to watch Chicken Shack at our local blues club, Cheltenham, yes, it does bring the good sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Keith...Catching up just watched todays and yesterdays, video...yesterday was a foggy day for me to lol was not feeling so great sore throat,ear ache etc..
    I can't belief those daffodils are in bloom are they a bit daffy?
    I loved hearing those Siskins ..that's what I like about flocks of the little birds they always sound so happy tweeting away!!
    I suppose you can sympathize with that poor goose with your knee hurting..not much he can do about his !!
    As always nice walk with you at the lake always something going on !!
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see and hear the Song Thrush again.

    It does seem to be a good place for Siskins, I don't see them like that here. I did have a couple visit the garden on a daily basis for a week or so during a hard Winter a few years ago, of course it was before I had a suitable camera :-(

    Completely agree with your remarks regarding the lanterns on your reply on the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Bob.
    Yea, Chicken Shack.......great memories. I bet our music collection is pretty similar. :-)

    Thanks Grace. I think the seasons here have gone crazy; it's been so mild. Yea, there's always something happening here at the lake. A great place.

    Thanks Jan. The Siskins are lovely little birds. I'm glad I know where I can usually find them here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what those crows would do if you stopped eating apples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how some birds associate some people with food isn't it John. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. all your birds were in fine form today Keith...good to see the shovelers too--your feeding station looks great! I keep a small stack of stones by my back door to sling at the squirrels on my feeders, IM a horrible thrower..but THEY usually run anyways....the dogs get lazy and dont always get them on the run...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a great variety of food on offer at the feeders Sondra, and they certainly attract a good number of birds. Just a shame about the squirrels too lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keith, I don't think I've ever seen Goosander on dry land. In the water, on the air, but never on terra firma. Thanks for proving that they have legs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look a bit out of place on land Graeme, but I think the strangest looking are the Great Crested Grebes. :-)

    ReplyDelete