Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 20 January 2012

Goosander, Siskin, Bullfinch and more.

The pictures aren't up to much today; my only excuse is the terrible light, and on and off rain.

The Song Thrush was doing his best to be heard above the traffic this morning, and certainly sounded better than the lorries and cars thundering along the road.
The Magpies were quite vocal, up in the trees, and a couple of Robins were joining in with the morning chorus too.

On the footbridge, at the car park, the Chaffinch with the white head, was still around. It seems like he's trying to do an impression of a Snow Bunting, with that white face.
What with him, and the pretend Snow Goose, it could start getting difficult to tell what's about, with all these imposters.

As I passed under the road bridge, a pair of Mallards began to follow me, and were soon joined by more, as they came out of the lake. I'm going to have to start bringing more food out.
A Grey Wagtail was searching the edge of the lake for food, under the bridge, and over by the pub, the Lesser Black-backed Gull was wandering between the Canada Geese, that were busily grazing.

The Heron was in his usual spot, by the footbridge near the bandstand, and a group of Cormorants were fishing in the now thawed waters.

Up towards the top end, and there were good numbers of Tufted Duck, along with the Wigeon, Great Crested Grebes, and Gadwall.

On the old flat topped boat, that seems a resting place for all and sundry, a Cormorant was behaving like a lovesick Goldeneye, throwing his head back, as he presumably made some advances to a female. She didn't seem that bothered, and after a while they flew off.

Up by the grass slope, a number of Canada Geese and Wigeon, were grazing.




I took a slight detour, so as not to disturb them, and eventually started my way round the south lake.

The Crows were soon there, waiting for their apple core, and a few Black-headed Gulls decided to tag along too.

As I got towards the far end, I saw a large whitish blob in the distance, on the water.
The binoculars soon confirmed a male Goosander; and not far away, was a female.

At the now flooded temporary wader scrape, a few Little Grebe could be heard, and eventually seen.


On towards the offices, and I soon found a group of Siskin in the trees.




They seem to love this area, and can be pretty much guaranteed to be seen here.
There are usually Redwing in this area too, in the trees along by the railway line; but not today.


I made my way along the path, towards the rowing club, and out on one of the buoys, a young Grey Heron.



With his head and neck tucked in, he didn't look too happy. Maybe this rain is getting him fed up too.


Round past the town houses, and then towards the car park for a last look at what's on the feeders. A couple of juvenile gulls were flying around.




Gulls are not my strong point, for ID's; especially the young ones. No idea what make and model this is, and not a brilliant picture; but I like it.


A Bullfinch in the bushes, and a few Mallard and Moorhen, under the feeders, closed a great morning.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  34

18 comments:

  1. I have seen the Wigeon grazing before. They are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great footage of the swans. Vile here today, wet and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bob. They look good in a big group.

    Thanks Adrian. Yea, roll on spring, and some decent weather; hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A damp and dismal walk this morning Keith. Still, it's grand weather for ducks as they say!!

    Interesting Cormorant display, a new one for me, but I guess Mrs.C has seen it all before!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Trevor.
    Yea, the Cormorant lovey dovey routine was a new one on me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you on the noise - pun intended.... same here, ugh :(

    Weird with all your imposters there. Maybe they are getting ready for German carnival?
    ;-)

    Still a nice birdcount for a rainy day. Would love the Siskins :)

    The Gull, don't get me started on those,.... *big sigh*!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keith...Lovey dovey routine huh lol that was pretty interesting..wish I was still that limber and I think you wish your knee was too!! lol
    That was a pretty sunrise to bad it didn't last, but plenty of birds about and they don't care!
    Yesterday I started a comment but had a interruption and didn't get back, but just read the comment and had a great laugh it was worth going to look!! lol haha!! real funny bunch!!
    Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting to see the Cormorant behaviour.
    Weather wise this time of year only gives two choices - clear, bright and cols or dull, damp and mild.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely visit to your patch..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Nicole. I think gulls should wear name badges lol

    Thanks Grace. Yea, the weather couldn't make its mind up this morning.

    Thank you John. First time I've seen that behaviour from the Cormorants before.

    Thanks Andrew. It always offers a few surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always I get my England fix walking with you, it is so therapeutic for me, funny how one can leave a part of their self 12 thousand miles away!

    I particularly loved the white goose and your duck followers, bless them, they are ever hopeful that all humans carry goodies to eat.

    But, my favourites are the crows, I adore watching the Aussie crows, crows are so entertaining, and so very smart.

    Thank you for such a fantastic video, glorious photos and great commentary.

    Oh, and sorry to hear about your knee, hope Jim is okay too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Gemel. I'm glad you enjoy the visits around my local. It's the time of year that the Mallards are always hopeful of some food. They learn quickly :-)
    I think Jim is doing better than me at the moment lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rain here today too and the weekend promised more...gulls are very difficult for me when not in breeding plumage...
    Have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sondra.
    Today looks promising for the weather here, but I have to wait in for a delivery. Typical! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another enjoyable walk with you Keith, a shame we couldn't have had better weather but I'm sure you got colder and damper than I did :-)

    Fascinating behaviour by the Cormorant!

    I see you are still doing your Pied Piper of Caldecotte impression ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jan. Those Mallards are getting quite cheeky. I daren't stand still for too long, or else they're all around my feet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. That would be a good idea :-D

    ReplyDelete