Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 1 January 2012

1st January 2012

New day, new month, and a new year.

Cloudy, light wind, but some cracking birds about though.........for a while.

North lake first, and after watching the ton of gulls that are attracted to the pub in the mornings, I made my way up towards the weir.
Wigeon, Gadwall, and Coots, were the main birds, along with Herons, Great Crested Grebes, and some noisy Canada Geese.

The Great Northern Diver was still around, and I managed to guide a couple of bird watchers to where it was.

Down towards the south lake, and a quick, distant glimpse of a pair of Goosander,



 before they took to the air.


The male Smew was still around the island too, and a few of us managed some distant views of it.




I walked round to the other side, to hopefully get a closer look, but as always, by the time I'd got there, he'd moved further into the middle of the lake.


I stood watching it for a while, with another birdwatcher, whilst it was diving amongst some Black-headed Gulls, when suddenly some idiot from the sailing club, in his bright yellow motorised dingy, decided to roar through the middle of all the birds.
Smew last seen flying north.


Just before I started to head back to the car park, a Little Egret flew overhead, going north.

At the bushes around by the footbridge, a pair of Bullfinches; and on the feeders, with a group of Goldfinch, a single Siskin.





A great start to the year; apart from the prick in the boat.









Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Smew (Mergellus albellus)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Northern Diver (Gavia immer)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  45


9 comments:

  1. An excellent start to the year if we ignore the boat people. Another out take I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Adrian.
    No out take; I showed remarkable restraint. A young lady was stood behind me at the time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith...I don't know about you, but this is just another day..one day older and I have to remember to put 2012 on my checks LOL
    I see the tin can is still working...I would like to can the 5 Gray Squirrels that where eating all the seeds and chasing the birds here this morning!!grrrr!!
    Good one on the Smew this morning ..best be careful..Dawn it was I believe, will be getting calls to remove the old bugger hollaring obscenities at the boat people ; } lol!!
    Hugs for a good one!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Keith...well Im off to a late start this Jan 1- you've already had your walk and I'm just finishing up my coffee!!
    Great walk too although off to a dark start what time does it get light? Here its bright as day by 7am..
    Nice to see the Smew is hanging in there regardless of the "boat people" and great job tracking those flying geese...Enjoyed your vid today.
    Off to a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great count Keith (mine was 32 and not a goose in sight) Rubbish weather..my highlights were watching Bank Voles and seeing a pair of sleeping Tawny Owls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent outing to start the year with this morning Keith, only to be spoilt by a moron in a boat!! BUT...do I detect a new year's resolution here? showing restraint towards the boat people, never?....it won't last!...lol

    I love that singing bush, btw....[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start to the year!! Best of the New Year from Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River,Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Grace. Yea, it's all just another day to me; Christmas, birthday's, new year.......lol
    I get less tolerant of the idiots of this planet as I get older. I'll finish up with a fat lip before the year is out.

    Thanks Sondra. daylight doesn't hit here till 8 a.m. some mornings.
    I think the Smew has left here for good now. There was a report of one at another lake further north. My guess is it's this one moved on for a quieter life, away from the 'boat people'. Can't say I blame it. lol

    Thanks Andrew. Yea, I had a great list of sightings this morning.
    Bank voles and Tawny Owls sound good to me though. I'll swap you a couple of Goosander lol

    Cheers Trevor. The singing bush was in full voice this morning lol
    Restraint? Hmmm, I doubt it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Gary. Yea, a great start to the new year. I hope it lasts.
    All the best to you and Boomer for 2012.

    ReplyDelete