Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 29 December 2011

Smew still here.

Took ages to get light this morning.

And it was windy, and raining. Not very nice.

There was hardly any light until I'd almost walked round the north lake; just in time to get some video of the female Goosander.

After feeding some of the Mallards by the pub, and a couple of Crows, I made my way round the south lake. By the time I'd reached the far end, the rain was getting heavier, but I managed to get some distant video of the Smew, and a couple of Little Grebes.

Tufted Duck, Pochard and Coot were the main birds, and a few Mute Swans flying around. As I passed the rowing club, another 'birder' was making his way to the far end, presumably to see the Smew. I think the rain put him off though; he soon turned, and began walking back.

A quick look at the feeders, before I left, and they were doing a roaring trade, with Goldfinches, Greenfinches, a few Tits, and a single Siskin.

And a last look under the road bridge, and there was the Great Northern Diver, diving in front of the pub.

Don't let a bit of rain put you off.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~







Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Smew (Mergellus albellus)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Northern Diver (Gavia immer)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  35

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



14 comments:

  1. Not enough band width for the video. It's vile here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fought the weather at least, I couldn't. The Goosander, Smew and the GND were superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you didn't let the wind and rain put you off Keith!!

    Super views of the Goosander and Smew...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian. Yea, a lousy day still.

    Thanks Bob. We've got some real stars here at the moment. Just waiting for a Bittern to turn up :-)

    Cheers Trevor. The Smew is quite wary, and tends to stick near the middle. Hopefully I'll catch him closer soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith..looks like the Mrs Goosander could use a bit of hair spray this morning!!lol
    The little Grebes make the cutiest vocal sound ..I love hearing them!!
    I found that the GN Diver is the same as our Loon...I thought it looked like the winter plumage of our Loon !!
    And your Smew is still there : }}
    Your haven't been by to see me ; }
    Warm Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know the Smew is still around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Grace. I could have done with some hair spray myself this morning.
    I've got behind with a few blogs unfortunately.

    Thanks BC. I'm surprised it's stayed this long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn right Keith... I got my weatherproof getup on and braved the weather today down the river Ribble. Snug as a bug too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Smew is a wonderful bird to see Keith.. another lovely video to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Keith, it has been a long, long time since I enjoyed such a wonderful winter walk! I could almost feel that chilly wind biting my face as the rain fell. To see and to hear the familiar sights of a chilly English morn was just delightful, I loved to walk in the winter, the glorious dark mornings and nights, how I miss that so. But, as I always said, no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing!

    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful video, even it the Smew did not wish to become famous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Andrew. The Smew has been quite a celebrity here, attracting a fair bit of interest.

    Thanks Gemel, glad you enjoyed it, and it stirred some memories. Yea, the weather can usually be overcome with some good boots, hat and coat. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. That it can ;)

    May you and Jim have a beautiful New Year and may 2012 bring nothing but happiness, love and laughter....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gemel.
    All the best to you for the new year.

    ReplyDelete