Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 22 December 2011

New toy

I was over the lake a bit earlier than usual this morning.

It was still dark, but I wanted to try out my new torch.




An LED Lenser; made by a German company. An expensive little torch, but it packs a very bright and powerful light. Plus it fits in my pocket without any problem.
I'm hoping that it will help find any owls that may be sitting up in the trees, as it starts to get light; throw some light on some of the strange rustling noises I sometimes hear coming from the bushes..........or just blind any potential early morning muggers.

I tried it out on the south lake first, illuminating the trees, lake edge, and the bushes.
I didn't find any owls, or much of anything else; but it has some great potential.

Once I'd reached the north lake, it was much lighter, and easier to see any birds.

The Great Northern Diver is still around, and the female Goosander. The sun was beginning to shine by now too, but unfortunately the Goosander had the sun behind her, so no pictures.

Back at the car park, a quick check on the feeders, which were busy with Goldfinch and Greenfinch, and some Reed Buntings in the surrounding bushes.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Northern Diver (Gavia immer)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  33

11 comments:

  1. Looks the dogs whatsists does that lamp. Owls are annoying. I hear two Tawny owls every morning and evening can I find them can I ..... No worries you will with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That torch looks good Keith and the results will be pretty cool once you have perfected using it in conjunction with the camera.
    Nice Reed Buntings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adrian. I'm quite impressed with it so far.

    Cheers Roy. Yea, a bit of practice is what's needed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no good Keith. You'll just have to grow another hand to hold all the gadgets. Modern LED torches can be really bright. My bright one is a lot larger and far less portable unfortunately. The camera works well with your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks John. I do have a large halogen lamp, as bright as the sun, but the battery runs down in a few hours, and it's a bugger to carry around. lol

    Thanks Bob. Yea, Christmas came early for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice piece of kit Keith.

    It's the 22nd of Dec and the days are getting longer so make the most of it..

    Take care and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a great Flashlight as we call them in my car for when I arrive home after dark so I can see how to get across the yard without falling over something or running into a tree!! ONLY I got mine for $3 in 2010 to take on my cross country trip its still burning Brightly..YOURS looks to be a super model...I like the carry case too. HOPE you find some awesome things with it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Andrew.
    Yea, it'll soon be spring! :-)
    Have a great Christmas too.

    Thanks Sondra. I'm hoping it's going to be a great addition. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like an excellent bit of kit Keith, perhaps I should get one people tell me I've been in the dark for years!...lol

    Good luck hunting those 'wols'...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Trevor.
    I'm well impressed with it. Put one on your Santa list :-)

    ReplyDelete