Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Gulls, gulls, gulls.

With apologies to 80's rockers Mötley Crüe.

Just a very quick visit this morning, as I had to be back for a parcel, that's hopefully coming today.

Dark, and drizzly rain greeted me as I pulled into the car park, and in the car headlights, the eyes of the biggest fox I've seen in ages shining back at me.
Or it could have been a bear.

After topping up the feeders, the sensible thing would have been go back home, but I wanted a quick look at the north lake. Withdrawal symptoms I guess.

Not that I could see much in the gloom. A lot of gulls though, on the grass in front of the pub. Mostly Black-headed Gulls, and a couple of larger ones too. I tried to work my way closer to them, but they kept a good hundred yards in front; lifting up in groups and landing further along.

A couple of Herons, a few Wigeon, lots of Coots, and the Great Northern Diver was about the rest of the sightings.

A quick check on the feeders, and a Great Spotted Woodpecker was enjoying the peanuts.










Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Northern Diver (Gavia immer)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  26

9 comments:

  1. I hope that the parcel comes, it must be something special, look out Santa Clause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure it was a fox or even a bear. I saw a Rhinoceros this morning at a similar time. I put it down to a heavy night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob.
    Yea, it's arrived. One of those powerful LED torches. Going Owl hunting :-)

    Adrian, no telling what it could have been. Certainly a big bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look out Keith!! I'm sure I heard somewhere that 'Big Foot' spends his Christmas vacation in Milton Keynes!!

    You've got a job on there, trying to get close to those Gulls.

    Take care now!!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Trevor. Those gulls were a nightmare to get close to, considering how dark it was.
    That was some animal I saw this morning. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Keith...Beware of what lurk's in the dusk of morning lol!
    Myself I would be more in fear of any thing human than animal..lol!
    Great gull encounter's ....you sure rustled up a bunch of them, but that's a crackin ; } good video of the them ...nice in the early morning light!!
    Take care
    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Grace.
    Good to see you getting the hang of the lingo ;-)
    We'll have you talking proper yet lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH wow I cant wait to see what you find on your night treks...Owls are hard to find! We had rain today too...dreary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sondra. I'm hoping there could be some good results.

    ReplyDelete