Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Tuesday 15th November 2011


The morning started grey and cloudy, but got better as I left.

I checked the feeders, topped them up, and made my way round the south lake first. I fancied a change.

The Crows soon recognised me, and began following me to the bottom end of the south lake.




A large number of Cormorants left the roost, and headed off towards the west, while Jackdaws were flying east. The sky was busy.

At the far end, the Little Grebes were being their usual elusive selves, whilst the Coots, were their usual belligerent selves.

Making my way towards the rowing club, I could see a Kingfisher in the distance, sitting by the side of the lake.




As I filmed it, from a fair distance, he suddenly shot into the water; and just as quickly, back out. I couldn't tell at the time, but he had caught a fish.
If you watch the video carefully, you can make out the fish wriggling in his beak.
He certainly lived up to his name.

A brief stop at the feeders, to see what was about, and then on round the north lake.




Plenty of Black-headed Gulls, Tufted Duck and Coots. As I got near the top end of the lake, I disturbed a Heron, with a large fish in his dagger like bill.



 Unfortunately the only picture was of him disappearing across the lake.


At the weir, a Grey Wagtail, and a few Wigeon and Gadwall.

By the time I was back at the car park, the sun was beginning to shine through the cloud.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~







Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  39

11 comments:

  1. Excellent video Keith.

    Nice to see all those Cormorants setting off for a day's fishing!....is the roost getting bigger?

    That Kingfisher is getting ever nearer...I can feel a super video and pictures coming up before too long...lol

    Shame about the Squirrel(s) attacking the feeders....did the chilli powder not work? ...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Trevor. The Cormorant roost seems to get bigger every day. Last year it was in the region of 700+. Likewise the gull roost gets bigger each day.
    I've got more chilli powder on those nuts, than Asda have got on their shelves lol
    How they got the tin can off, emptied the feeder, and still left it hanging on the branch is beyond me. I think these are superior squirrels lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of your best yet. Time to shoot Kingfisher video through the Cannon? Mean lugging a tripod along.

    Second good video I've watched today. You and Andrew should get together.
    Was that a Honda Fireblade short shifting? A wonderful sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian. The Kingfisher was a very long way off when I did the video. The zoom is much better than on the 7D. I just need to get better at sneaking up on them lol

    Not sure what the bike was; and Andrew's video was superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Carrion Crow, Dunnock and the Robin, but easily the best was the Kingfisher. I cannot get it properly, enough to put it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did well to get that Kingfisher flying across the lake Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob. I'm still trying for a Kingfisher shot I'm really happy with.

    Thanks Roy. If only I could get closer lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. WELL the little rat is cute...and what a great job you did tracking that kingfisher..lol and YOUR pet crow is soooo cool. Have a great Wedensday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sondra. The Crow is always a highlight of the walk round the lake now. I start to look for him lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great birds and the kingfisher is my favorite. It is a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Eileen. It's a bird I've yet to get a decent picture of. I keep trying lol

    ReplyDelete