Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 21 November 2011

Great Northern Diver still here

Misty morning, but not as bad as yesterday.

A lightening visit this morning, just the north lake. A lot of things to do today.

Topped up the feeders, and noticed that they don't seem to empty as quickly, as they used to. I guess the new squirrel proof feeders are working. Worth the extra expense I think.

All the usual and regular birds this morning, but no sign of the diver at his usual spot.


But as I began my walk to the road bridge, to cross over the lake, I saw him surface in the area just outside the pub. Good to see, and I managed plenty of video.


Off to the shops, and stopped to pick up my prescription on the way home.
I stopped taking most of my tablets some time ago; didn't like the side effects.
The pharmacist asked if she could take my blood pressure.
Oh dear.
Seems it's higher than a kite on a windy day.
She suggested I see the doctor ASAP.

I think I'll cut down a bit on the drink.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Northern Diver (Gavia immer)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  29

13 comments:

  1. I hope they get your BP under control faster than they managed with mine. Mind you, job worries and fighting the system to get what you're entitled to don't help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful video.
    You look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith ..well I saw yesterdays video .that is what I could see from the fog..lol..but blogger commnent was in a fog and wouldn't let me a comment!!
    Today is a lot better glad to see the BND still hanging around so you could another look at him!1
    Loved the parade of the water birds so comical lol!!
    So what's up with this blood pressure, your being a bad old bugger aren't you ..you better be taking care to get yourself checked out!
    HUGS
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shouldn't knock it on the head, ie the pills, go back to the doctors, i.e; that way he'll fix you up properly. Anyway, that GND has got you transfixed. Great filming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, You'd best take the pharmacists advice and get round to the doc's and get that blood pressure sorted sharpish. Good luck.

    Excellent video of the Great Northern Diver, it looks like it's happy and intends to stay for a while!

    You reckon you've beaten that squirrel? Na,give him time, I reckon he's just working on a new strategy to get back at those nuts...lol...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers John; very true. Worrying about Jim too; things can get in a right mess sometimes :-(

    Thanks Adrian. Yea. I think I need a holiday.

    Thanks Grace. Yea, the diver is still here. A beauty.
    A man has to have some vices lol

    Thank you Bob. Yea, I'll see the doctor soon. I need to get Jim sorted first :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Trevor. I'll get an appointed sorted out soon.
    I think I've beaten that squirrel; pretty sure I have lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome to stay on the truck. I'll get some leaches in. They should drop the pressure by a Bar or so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Keith, you should also cut out as much salt from your diet as you possibly can. Cook your food without salt. I have had High blood pressure for 25+ years, and yes you should go see your Dr. as soon as possible. I take 2 types of meds to keep my blood pressure down. High blood pressure is the silent killer. It can destroy your kidneys and can also cause strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith I to am on daily medication for hypertension and have been for 15 years... I feel fine and have always wondered if it was just to get me spending for prescriptions every month.
    I also drink far to much...

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Leaches? Well I say, watch your salt intake, PLENTY Of exercise, take your meds and Yes mind the drink...lol
    that was some procession for sure...what a crowd..and the GND awww he is a great bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Horst. Good advice; I'll sort something out with the doctor soon.

    Thanks Andrew. The ammount of tablets I was put on after the heart attack did make me wonder if it was to justify all the drugs the drug companies put out.
    There I go, being cynical again lol

    Thanks Sondra. Why is it all the things I like seem to be bad for me? lol
    It's so unfair! Enough to drive a man to drink :-)

    ReplyDelete