Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 13 October 2011

No coffee today

The kettle must have boiled earlier.


The birds appear to have found the new home for the feeders, and seem to be approving of it.

Just the north lake again today, and a brief glimpse of a Kingfisher, near the top end.



 One day, I'll capture a good shot.


I noticed four Gadwall at the top end, and a couple of Wigeon, until Captain Pugwash appeared in a canoe, or something, and scared them away. Hopefully they'll be back in greater numbers soon.
And a Tern briefly flying around.





After looking through a couple of books, I can only think it's a Common Tern, although I thought these had moved on a while ago.

Back at the footbridge, a couple of Reed Buntings with some Chaffinch, a Robin ticking everyone off, and a lone rat making his way along the footbridge.





Apologies for the very poor quality of pictures today. One of those days when things go wrong. 
I'm just glad it ain't Friday.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  31


11 comments:

  1. The King fisher is well above average. Well done. I'll try for the video later.......band width is awful at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith ...I laughed when I saw that rat come out from under that foot bride rail ...I can just see some women jogger scream and run for her life about the time one of them did that lol!!: }}
    The new arrangement for the feeders looks like it had some takers ..that's good!
    I love hearing the sound of the Swans wings..like music to the ear!!

    Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith ...I laughed when I saw that rat come out from under that foot bride rail ...I can just see some women jogger scream and run for her life about the time one of them did that lol!!: }}
    The new arrangement for the feeders looks like it had some takers ..that's good!
    I love hearing the sound of the Swans wings..like music to the ear!!

    Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. You keep on feeding them, right on. I love your Kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Kingfisher has got to come out in the open one day Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Adrian. The Kingfisher is my nemesis. One day I'll have him!

    Thanks Grace. Yea, a lovely sound, the wing beats of a swan.

    Thanks Bob. Yea, they won't go hungry while I'm still around :-)

    Roy, one day lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the new sight for the feeders looks to be working out o.k. Keith.

    Superb video, amazing sound of a Swan in flight!

    I think it's becoming a battle of wills between you and that Kingfisher...lol...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great captures Keith.. I would love to get a Kingfisher image... my only success has been a digiscoped video clip (through a bush) and lost when my computer crashed and burned earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was better than I have ever managed with a Kingfisher. You are getting really good at tracking the birds in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO one rat is still on the job cleaing up what the birds leave behind...Good for him...
    ONE day you will get that shot of the KF---the one you posted today is NOT a bad photo...I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Trevor. I think the new area will work out Ok. Once the grass gets growing again, it'll be practically invisible from the path.

    Thank you Andrew. I find the Kingfisher a really difficult bird to capture with the camera.

    Thanks John. Tracking the birds flying helps with the small camera; until the sun shines on the screen, then it's all down to guessing lol

    Sondra, I don't think the rats will ever leave that spot. There's plenty of natural food there for them. The Kingfisher has eluded me for a few years. Maybe I should just sit in a hide somewhere; but then part of the fun is trying to capture one naturally.

    ReplyDelete