Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Feeders re-sited

A cloudy start, but the sun soon put in an appearnce.

I found one Little Egret, over on Cormorant island this morning; maybe the rest had left earlier, or were better hidden.

I re-sited some of the feeders this morning. Trevor's idea seemed pretty good yesterday, so I took a few of them down to some bushes well away from the path, and near an arm of water that comes off the lake. Not sure if it's the spot Trevor had in mind, but it seemed OK. A few birds soon found them.

I just walked the north lake this morning; still got loads to do at home, but I'm not really in the mood for it all.

A nice little sign in one of the gardens made me smile.



Probably not intended for me, or most of the other people that pass by; but I could of done with a coffee.

A single Swallow was flying overhead; first one way, then the other, before eventually heading in a southerly direction.

Quite a few Coots gradually increasing their numbers, along with some Tufted Duck and the Canada Geese.
And at the jetty, near the pub, a few Cormorants busily drying their wings.
I managed to capture one that flew in their way too.




And as I got back to the footbridge, it was good to see some Reed Buntings coming back, to take advantage of the seed.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  33

10 comments:

  1. Spot on with the feeders Keith, exactly the place I was thinking of.
    Surely they can't upset anyone now?

    Excellent shots of the Heron on the video.

    Go on, I dare you! knock on the door and ask for a coffee!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith...great shot of the Cormorant!!
    Funny little sign lol
    It looks like the new location is not going to be a problem for the birds ..it doesn't take them long to find them!!
    A pleseant walk this morning I enjoy it!!

    Hug Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lateral thinking............I like it. You be careful down there the rats will be big as cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, great idea of yours Trevor, and far enough away from the path.
    I rang Dawn this morning to let her know I'd moved most of the feeders, and she was very supportive.
    I did notice a couple of rats scurrying across the bridge this morning though lol
    The coffee sounds a good idea ;-)

    Thanks Grace. That sign had me in stitches this morning.
    It seems the birds approve of the new site. I'll see how much needs filling tomorrow.

    Adrian, they're big now lol
    I think the new place will be perfect. I'll probably move the rest of the feeders over the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Reed Bunting, it takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice post to read Keith it sounds like everyones happy... I love that garden sign it would be a great name for a little cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got most of the video. Is that Magpie called Danni?
    A grand Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob. They are looking stunning at the moment.

    Andrew, it seems it's all turned out well. Maybe I should call into the house for a coffee? lol

    Thanks Adrian. The Magpie certainly makes a lot of noise; it could be a Danni.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like the new feeding area will work well.
    Great shots of the Heron today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks John. The birds seem to have taken to the new area already :-)

    ReplyDelete