Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 11 September 2011

Then there were 5

A sunny morning, but a bit windy.

A dilemma.......do I go for the sunrise, and miss the gull roost and any Little Egrets that are just waking up, or leave the sunrise for another day?

The Egrets won, after checking the front of the pub for any Great Black-backed Gulls.
The lone Lesser was there, and a hoard of Black-headed Gulls. Curiosity satisfied, I made my way to the south lake, and the Egrets.

I was in luck. I briefly saw four through the willows as I made my way there. Suddenly three took to the air, and headed north. That left one; and as I got into position to capture some video, he suddenly left, also heading north.
But then, bursting from the trees, and previously hidden from view, a fifth left, and headed south. It's becoming a popular spot for these birds.

Three Tufted Duck were swimming by the town houses, and quite a few Swallows flying high, on their journey south.

I made my way round towards where the gulls were roosting, but by now, most had left. I stopped to take some pictures of some Shaggy Inkcap pushing through the grass,




and by the time I'd finished, the gull roost was down to four large immature big ones. No idea what they were.....I have trouble with gulls.

I soon reached the far end, and watched some rabbits bounding around, and a couple of squirrels doing squirrel stuff.




The lone Pochard was at the very far end, by the island, along with another Tufted Duck, and some Little Grebes.

On round, and up towards the north lake; but stopping off by the footbridge that crosses the river. A good spot usually, especially when the sun shines on the bushes.
And on cue, a Robin sat briefly for his picture.




A Chiffchaff, Blackcap, and a Whitethroat were all up next. Surprised to see these around still, I thought they would have moved on by now.
The Whitethroat was feeding up on some blackberries, so maybe he'll be going south soon.
Also on the footbridge, as I turned to carry on, a very inquisitive Feral Pigeon.
He made it to the video.

When I reached the pub, at the north lake, the wind seemed to be getting stronger.

Plenty of Coots now on the water, and as I got to the top end, a pair of Wigeon.




Now I know winter has arrived! Autumn must have had a by-pass.

A couple of Herons, stood around fishing, and more Swallows flying overhead.

Back at the car park, and footbridge, the usual tits and finches were around on the feeders and in the bushes, and getting the fallen seed, the rat pack.

A longer than normal video today; tomorrow there might not be one. I have to try and extract some money from the government to live on, now the job's finished. I hope it's not too painful, 'cause my tolerance levels of egits is not what it used to be.


Enjoy the rest of the day.

 






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Whitethroat [sp] (Sylvia communis)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris britannica)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  39

8 comments:

  1. Great Robin shot...........good luck tomorrow.....I'll watch the video then.......and the GP. No chance today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith...very enjoyable relaxing video this morning".. a watched pot never boils" comes to mind with the Egret's ...lovely and worth the wait!!

    Hugs
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Shaggy Inkcap, hum, that doesn't sound right, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another excellent and entertaining, wildlife packed, video Keith.

    And that Robin picture is a real beauty!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Adrian. Hopefully tomorrow I can get something sorted.

    Thanks Grace. Yea, I'm sure those Egrets were watching me, waiting for their moment.

    Thanks Bob. I know what you mean lol

    Thanks Trevor. I only managed 2 shots of the Robin before he left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, love the little Robin. In the fall I always enjoyed growing mushrooms. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely watch and read Keith...
    You have some beautiful birds on your patch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anna. The taste of mushrooms is something I can't get used to lol

    Thank you Andrew.
    I think it's a great place, but the local birders don't seem to like it much. Not enough rarities for them lol

    ReplyDelete