Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Quick visit

The briefest of visits today, appointment at the jolly job centre later.

After 45 years working, and paying into a system for people that need some help, I suddenly find myself in the position of having to grovel for some help. It's shit, and I'll probably end up telling them that.

But the birds.

Plenty of Chaffinches on the footbridge, along with Greenfinches, and a Collared Dove. On the feeders, a couple of Great Tits, and some Goldfinches.

I made my way under the road bridge, and from there I could see a few Black-headed Gulls flying around, lots of Mallards, Coots and Great Crested Grebes. No sign of any Herons though.

Back on the footbridge, a Little Egret flew overhead, and a pair of Mallards picking up the fallen seed.

Then, time to exit.







Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  16
 


12 comments:

  1. Good luck............ they'll be fine. They can't all be Muppets.

    Anymore shots like the closing video scene and you'll be changing your name to Tarantino.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Adrian.
    Your last comment certainly put a smile on my face. Thanks mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith, good luck for today and remember to stay calm and it will be a doddle!

    Great last shoot....remember, if you stare at the moon for too long it sends you mad...hahahahehehehe!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Trevor. A sort of breeze lol
    I've got to go back on Friday, to see my personal advisor, or whatever it is they call themselves these days, so we'll see how that goes.

    See you in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally catching up on all the videos I've missed.
    Quite a variety of animal as well as bird life what with squirrels, rabbits and bold rats.

    Good luck with the job hunting - remember your blood pressure!

    Are you on cable / fibreglass there? It would take me most of the morning to upload a 9 min video as my max upload speed is about 450Kb/s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Robins look a bit different than ours. Enjoyed the trip around the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, you will need it, under this government. The video is excellent, far better than signing on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks John. Yea, there's quite a variety of life here at the lake.
    My internet is pretty slow too. Takes about 3-4 hours to upload a 9 minute video.

    Thanks Carol. Glad you enjoyed the stroll.

    Thank you Bob. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely visit Keith... keep your spirit up mate at least you want to work...something will turn up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Andrew. Yea, maybe something will turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a nice position to be in Keith and I bet the person sat the other side of the desk is young enough to be a Grand child with little or no knowledge of life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first one I saw Roy, looked like David Cameron. Quite unnerving lol

    I have to go again at midday today, to see my personal adviser. I'm sick of it already, and I haven't even signed yet.

    ReplyDelete