Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 9 September 2011

Little Egrets

After sorting out the feeders, I took a wander round to the Cormorant island, to see if the Little Egrets were there.

I was at the lake earlier than I have been for a while; Jim woke me with his panting, and I was feeling pretty rough too.
Up in the trees, and gloom, four Little Egrets were slowly waking, and getting ready for the off. I stood, and sat, watching them for a while, hoping to capture their departure. I missed the first one, but managed the rest.....just.

Quite the makings of a large gull roost on the south lake too. I'll investigate that another time.

On round the north lake, and good to see a Kingfisher, although briefly, as it flew across the lake.

Didn't feel up to doing the south lake, so I cut across over the road bridge, and made my way back to the footbridge, and car park.
The rat pack were out in force again, and the birds seem to have returned back to their usual numbers.

A couple of Mallards were wandering around the bridge, picking up the fallen seed, and a few Black-headed Gulls were screaming overhead, chasing a hapless individual that happened to have some food.

Along with the light drizzle, and cloud, I decided to head home. Still loads to do, and tomorrow I'm officially unemployed.






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  31

6 comments:

  1. Keith, the egrets seem to have adopted the island as their preferred roosting site now. And a gull roost in the offing too. Things are looking good down at the lake!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely video. There must be 100s of Coots on the lake, I might have overstated them a little, but there was a lot. So, it your turn to be unemployed. Mind you, its the best time that I've been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon. Ta for making the effort. I'm peculiarly out of sorts today. This bloody weather. Neither one thing or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith...that worries me a bit your breathing ...
    When that Egret flew off you was probably nodding of lol.. ; }

    Hope you and Jim both feel better!!
    Hugs for you both : }
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you any idea what your going to do yet when the job ends. I would feel quite daunted at the prospect having worked at the same place for over twenty five years and me being a bit of a dumb ass;-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Trevor. It's good to see those Little Egrets each day. When you think 20 odd years ago how rare they were, and now they are fairly common in parts.

    Thanks Bob. Makes you wonder where all those Coots come from.
    I'm looking forward to a life of no work :-)

    Cheers Adrian. Fell asleep this afternoon for a few hours lol

    Grace, as long as I keep breathing, it don't matter how it sounds lol
    I think that egret waited till I started to walk away ;-)

    Debbie, I've no idea what I'm going to do. No skills, no health, and in a few months, no money. Why worry? lol

    ReplyDelete