Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 28 August 2011

A Bank Holiday weekend

That usually means rain, and crowds.

It started sunny, but soon clouded over. The crowds were represented by the joggers and boat people. Not that many, but enough.

An overhead Sparrowhawk, being chased by a bunch of Magpies was an early sighting. These raptors certainly get a hard time from the Crow family; you gotta feel sorry for them.

A rather sleepy looking juvenile Wood Pigeon sat in the bushes, amongst the red berries, not really bothered by presence.



The brief appearance by the sun picked out some toadstools growing under a group of trees.



Great Crested Grebes were out in force, along with Black-headed Gulls. No sign of any Common Tern this morning though.
A few Swallows were hunting insects over the grass at the top end of the north lake, and I was surprised to see a group of Swifts and House Martins over the south lake. It's been a while since I've seen these.

At the far end of the south lake, along with the Tufted Duck, a new arrival........a lone Gadwall. I think it won't be long before the first Pochard and Wigeon begin to make an appearance. Hello winter/autumn.


The boat people were soon out, along with some joggers and cyclists. To be expected I guess, on a Bank Holiday weekend.







Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Common Whitethroat [sp] (Sylvia communis)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)

Total species  41

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot of the fungi.......one of the Bonnet Caps I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Summer is coming to an end! the first Gadwall and the emerging Fungi are sure signs that Autumn is not far away.
    Super mushroom imasge, I think it's maybe Milky Bonnet (hemimycena lactea)!! [;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith...One thing you don't have to think about are holiday's ..everyday is a day of from work now.. : }}

    Lovely photo of the Wood Pigeon in the fruit tree, and the Mushroom look like little soldier at attention!!! lol
    Nice to hear the bird chirping away ...it is very quite this morning as far as the birds I suppose they are looking for cover!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good catch. Tell me, do you fill up the feeders, or anybody can help you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Adrian. I've searched through my book, and the net, but I'm still struggling with an ID. I think you may be on the right lines though.

    Cheers Trevor. I had a look at that mushroom, but I think it's a lot smaller than this one.
    I reckon autumn is marching in now; winter close behind.

    Thanks Grace. Yea, I'm going to retire disgracefully lol
    I reckon you'll miss the worst of the weather you got there. Take care.

    Thanks Bob. The feeders and seed are all supplied by me. I might have to start cutting down soon, getting rather expensive. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keith most seem to turn inside out when they get old. They are hard to identify...............I shouted a dog yesterday and it wasn't mine. I find almost everything hard to ID.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adrian, I know just what you mean.
    I look in a mirror sometimes, and think, 'who the hell's that!'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was like that wood pigeon and had a LONG lie in this morning--I didnt want to get up cause I had so many chores to do--BUT its all done now and Im relaxing dinner out with my son later...WOW I love the mushroom shots in the video...Really nice persepctive on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post Keith... I saw a lot of fungi this morning... can't wait for the puffballs to appear... my fav free food.
    Slice them and fry...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sondra. Hope you enjoyed your meal :-)

    Thanks Andrew. 'Slice them and fry...', sounds like a horror movie lol

    ReplyDelete