Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 20 July 2011

A quick one

Another quick visit this morning, but I did walk round the north lake.

All the regulars, and a few more Black-headed Gulls. One in particular, was very helpful with his picture. He just stood and posed, inches away from me.




A small group of Bullfinches were a nice find around the car park area, and a good mix of other birds at the feeders.

An interestingly marked duck had me a bit confused for a while, but I'm pretty certain it was a pretty Mallard;




and trying to film Common Terns flying, is not easy.


Short visit, still loads to sort out, and work later.

 






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)

Total species  34

10 comments:

  1. HI Keith...that Black Headed Gull in the video just made me laugh...that face is great!!
    The photo of him is very nice !!
    I just can't help but think about how many goobs of poop there is around ...I guess I wouldn't be doing my usual barefoot walking there. lol
    Hugs...Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith...I wanted to tell you my post today is the common Tern and forgot...if you have time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith,that BHG has the morning after the night before look about it!

    I think you'll have to sharpen up the old reflexes a bit more to capture those Terns. lol.

    The mystry duck, don't know what it is but did you notice it has no flight feathers! Has it been pinioned?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot of the Blackheaded gull. You been resorting to super glue again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The geese are a bit messy Grace, but no worse than some people lol
    [saw the garden, but no Tern :-) ]

    I noticed the wings on the duck Trevor; they seemed very small, or under developed. Makes me wonder how it got to the lake.

    Adrian, the gull just wasn't bothered by me being there. I did wonder if it was OK.

    Thanks Andrew. I really enjoy spending my time here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is an unusual Duck...great Gull shot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sondra. I'm going to have a look for that duck again later.

    ReplyDelete