Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 4 July 2011

Compilation

Since I've been working solid for the last few days, I've not been able to get round the lake as I'd like to have done. But I have stopped off to do the feeders, and put some seed out, before going in to work each day; and I've had the video camera in my pocket.
Some days I did a quick bit of film; some days I had no time.

So, rather late in the day, a compilation of the last few mornings, and a list from this morning.

Highlights have been the numerous Swifts feeding over the tree tops most mornings, the Crows and Magpies, that seem to be waiting for my arrival, all the juveniles around and feeding on the feeders,



(Juvenile Goldfinch)


the Common Gull, still hanging in there, the Oystercatchers, and for today; the tiny mouse.
All this from the area by the car park. Amazing.



That's why I love this place so much.

 






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  24

8 comments:

  1. I love the juvenile Goldfinch, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bob. It's lovely to see all the youngsters around at the moment isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith...You softy..giving the little mouse a chance...that's sweet!!
    It must just get you to have to make such a quick trips at the lake : {{....I know when I get to poking around I just want to keep going!!
    I wonder what the outcome of the gull will be...would be nice if he just up and flew!!
    Hugs my friend~~~♥ Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Grace. Yea, I couldn't bear the thought of the little mouse becoming breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely video Keith... I have Woodmice in my garden and they are no threat to my home(nesting under the shed)and living on the seed dropped from the feeders.
    Another wonderful look around your patch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Andrew. It's a shame more people had a better understanding of the wildlife around them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grand footage of the mouse. Good job that you arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Adrian. I hope he got away.

    ReplyDelete