Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 10 July 2011

Common Sandpiper, Little Grebe, and a mystery bird.

A nice stroll round the lake this morning.

The north lake had all the usuals this morning; apart from the Oystercatchers. I guess they left for good yesterday, when I saw them head north.
Plenty of Mallards, showing off their babies, Mute Swans with their cygnets, and the geese and their goslings.

Down by the boat jetty, as I was watching the numerous Canada Geese, and Black-headed Gulls, a Common Sandpiper flew in, and joined them.
He gave me some lovely views, as I used the geese as cover, to get closer; and it was wearing more rings and bangles than a society deb.





Thankfully the geese just carried on grumbling, and didn't take to the air, and spook him.

On to the south lake, and a Crow was wandering the grass with a youngster in tow.




At the far end of the lake, Little Grebes, and chicks. Strange that yesterday I'd left a comment on Tricia's blog, saying I'd not seen any for ages, and then today I was treated to some excellent views, while an adult was fishing for its two youngsters.




One of the pair of Mute Swans, that had 4 cygnets, are now down to 3. A shame. I thought they were big enough now, to not be prey for predators; obviously not.

And as I got back to the car park, a quick wander through some long grass, in search of butterflies. Small Copper, Speckled Wood, Marbled White,
  


 Meadow Brown and a Small White, all fluttering in a small area.

Up in the trees, something caught my eye. No sure what birds they were, but larger than Blackbird/Thrush, one was the reddish colour of a male Bullfinch's chest, the other seemed a plainer brown.
No pine trees around, but a large Ash, with clusters of seeds hanging like bunches of keys.
My guess would be a Hawfinch.
Shame I wasn't quick enough for a picture.


Big video today, and a few pictures. Busy week ahead, so I might not be able to get a post done the rest of the week.

 






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Whitethroat [sp] (Sylvia communis)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  36
 

12 comments:

  1. A feast of a video today. The grebes and cygnets are wonderful to watch. Amazing how many geese there are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always good to see something different to keep us on our toes! Great shots of the sandpiper..he really is gorgeous!
    Too bad about the cygnet hope it was just hiding someplace--Amazing that the weekend has gone already--have a good week at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I'll try and count the geese Adrian. I'm sure there are a few hundred each of both Greylag and Canada.

    Thanks Sondra. This place constantly throws up something new. It certainly does keep me on my toes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Keith...video today was excellent so full of wonderful sites and sound!!
    I like your favorite duck it does have nice markings!
    The photos af the Sandpiper and all the rings and things right in style ...no differnt them us with earrings and such! lol
    I do hope you have on some wellies to get through all that goose poop!!
    Take care with that full week ahead...Big Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Grace. The walking boots are used to wading through all sorts lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sandpiper is adoring, the second is my favourite. The best of them is Marbled White butterfly, it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images of the Sandpipers Keith and another wonderful video.
    Hawfinch would be a fantastic spot.
    i have only seen one and that was on Jan 3rd 2009 when I stumbled upon a twitch on my patch. I would have missed it without all the nutters.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob. Glad you liked them. I had a good morning.

    Thanks Andrew. The mystery bird has me puzzled. Hawfinch seemed to fit the bill; maybe I'll get a better look another time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent video Keith.It's so relaxing watching all the goings on around the lake. Well done with the Sandpiper btw.

    Does counting Geese have the same effect as counting sheep?

    Have a good sle...er, week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Trevor. I could spend a whole day there, and not get bored :-)
    I must count the geese one day, just out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos and video again Keith and also on your last post (I'm struggling to keep up at the moment and with life in general!)

    I would have liked to have seen you creeping along behind the geese, it must have looked quite funny :) worth it though to get so close to the Sandpiper.

    How intriguing about the possible Hawfinch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jan. I know what you mean about trying to keep up with blogs lol
    Yea, the mystery bird has me puzzled. I'll have to stake that area out one day.

    ReplyDelete