Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Tuesday

A sunny start to the day, and some lovely sights.

No sooner had I topped up the feeders, a new visitor arrived to feed on the peanuts.
A Great Spotted Woodpecker. That explains why they've been disappearing so quickly recently.

I just walked the north lake this morning; I had to be back home for a parcel delivery.
The sun was making some great light, and I spent a while just experimenting with some exposures.

All the regular birds were about, and plenty of juveniles too.
I watched a Great Crested Grebe swim by with a youngster on her back.




The first young ones I've seen this year. It slid off her back, and a couple more little heads appeared; along with the dad, and a fish.




Junior struggled with the fish for a while, but couldn't quite manage such a big breakfast..........dad ate it in the end.
A great encounter.

Further round the north lake, by the weir, I found my first Kingfisher since the winter. I was beginning to wonder if any had survived the cold winter.

A brief skirmish between a female Mallard and a Coot next.




The Mallards chicks were constantly calling to the mother, and a family of Coots got just a little too close. Authorities established, and they all went back to their usual business of swimming and feeding.




A brief, but interesting visit.












Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
Common Whitethroat [sp] (Sylvia communis)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  34
 

10 comments:

  1. Excellent video and pictures of the Grebes Keith.
    I bet it won't be long before that chick handles a fish twice that big! lol

    And a nutty mystery solved at last!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two cracking shots of the GCGs Keith. I must try to find out if there are any near me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous shots of the family Grebe Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Trevor. It was great watching those Grebes this morning. They were totally oblivious to me.

    Thanks John. There's quite a few here, at the lake, but these are the first I've seen with young. It was a great moment to watch.

    Thanks Roy. I took loads of pictures, and then when dad turned up with a fish, I thought I'd run out of memory on the card lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see the Grebe family, I had to smile when it was obvious the fish was too big and dad ate it himself... waste not want not :)

    Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jan. I almost thought the young one was going to swallow that fish at one point; full marks for effort lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a glamorous shot with the babe on her back...I love it!! Thats is a big FISH--love the new header.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sondra.
    The header was a chance shot, that turned out better than I hoped it would. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Great Crested Grebe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bob. They are lovely birds aren't they.

    ReplyDelete