Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Little Owl

Another quick visit today; lots to do.

Just the north lake this morning, but a great variety of birds seen. I counted 22 different species, just on the short walk from the footbridge to the road bridge.

Every time I walk the north lake, when I get to the bottom end close to the weir, I always look along the tops of the streetlights.
A year ago, 9 days earlier, I saw my first Little Owl here; and I always look, just in case...........
Well, this morning, I saw him again.




A lovely little bird, and often seen during the daylight hours.

Further along I came across a tiny Chaffinch. He'd fallen from a nest, and was helplessly calling from the ground. The male was in the tree above, calling back. Such a shame to see, but nothing I could do. Just have to let nature take its course.

By the pub, the Oystercatcher and the Lesser Black-backed Gull, along with hordes of geese; and back at the footbridge, about a dozen Chaffinch, eating the seed.

 






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Little Owl [sp] (Athene noctua)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Common Whitethroat [sp] (Sylvia communis)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  34

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Owl & pictures Keith,

    ReplyDelete
  2. So unusual to see a Little Owl on an exposed perch like that Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video quality is perfect. Little Owl well done. The baby chaffinch will be okay......I hope. As you say nothing to be done.
    A mixed morning but a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS...thanks for removing word verification......it is a real pain in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see the Little Owl. It really does look small. I only get to see owls when it is too dark to take photos.
    The Chaffinch was giving a loud alarm call - probably telling you to stay away from his baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always so relieved to see the gull :)

    Lovely to see the Song Thrush again. There has been one singing its heart out on the top of a very tall Cupressus tree in the garden at around 9:45pm, the last few evenings. Magical to hear in the near dark!!

    I do hope the little Chaffinch survives, I am sure the parents will do their best to feed and protect it.

    Great to see the Little Owl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keith Your videos are really looking good ..is that the new one that blew your holiday! ; } : ] lol!!
    Your post yesterday was with the fog on the water very nice!!
    Todays little Owl made me laugh he looks so stern, and judge like.. lol
    Nice ot see all the post filed up again for the feeders!!
    Take care my friend..Hugs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bob. They're cracking little birds.

    Thanks Roy. I think it's his favourite hunting ground there.

    Thanks Adrian. Yea, a good morning. It's always fruitful here.
    The word thing is a pain; it had to go lol

    Thanks John. The young Chaffinch was a sorry looking site. I hope he survives.

    Jan, the gull is doing incredibly well. I've become very attached to it.
    I hope the young Chaffinch does as well.

    Thanks grammie. Yea, I'm really pleased with the new camera, it's performing well. It was good to see the Little Owl again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A terrrific shot of the Little OWL---

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sondra. I'm glad I spotted him before he spotted me.

    ReplyDelete