Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 22 May 2011

Sunday 22nd May

Heavy overnight rain, down to a slight drizzle when I left home.

Typical! Work all week in the sunshine, get a day off, and the weather changes.
I left the seed at the footbridge, and the skies began to slowly clear. Maybe a good day coming up after all.

Plenty of Swifts flying overhead, and two pairs of Mallards by the car park.
Chaffinch were soon down on the footbridge, enjoying the seed, and Greenfinch and Goldfinch were on the feeders.

I walked under the road bridge, to make my way round the north lake, but my mind was elsewhere.
I felt certain that the Blue Tits that were nesting in my garden, would be fledging today. I didn't want to miss it.

I left, and made my way home. A very short visit, but as it turned out, my hunch was right.

 





Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  19

6 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right, you must watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really could have done with that overnight rain here Keith. It is starting to get desperate! So odd to be this dry at this time of year. We have had some sun today but the very high wind has made it really unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it did clear off you--we have lots of sun here today and its quite warm!! Lots of swifts here too scooping bugs out of the air!!Those Greylags are big!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bob. Yea, a great moment. :)

    Jan, it's been pretty windy here today, and it's dried out most of the rain that fell.

    Sondra, it amazes me how quickly tiny goslings and ducklings grow. The Canada Geese goslings look so big now; I'll try for some pictures in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith...nice to here that voice again,but could tell you was anxious to get home!!
    Nice to see the little ones leave the nest.. good you didn't miss it , but I am always concerned because they are so vulnerable!!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks grammie. Yea, I got home in time to see it all happen :)

    ReplyDelete