Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 30 April 2011

Out with a bang

A cracking morning round the lake.

A long video; I got carried away, sorry.


The sun was shining, I was a bit later than usual, but the birds were out in force.
A Mallard was watching my every move while I sorted out the seed and feeders, and when I wandered down to the reeds, to look for some Reed Warblers, a pair of Mallards seemed to stalk me.

My first Garden Warbler for here, gave me the run around, but I finally caught up with him; 


(not brilliant, but hard work getting this) 


along with Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. A few Greenfinch and Goldfinch on the feeders, and then I headed off round the north lake.

I found the Coot family, and the Mallard with her chicks. She's lost 7; now down to 5, hopefully they'll survive, now they are getting a bit stronger. No sign of the Swans on the nest, but further round the lake, I found a pair of Canada Geese, with their babies.



House Sparrows darting through the reeds, a Sparrowhawk flying overhead, Common Terns swooping over the lake, and the Oystercatcher up by the pub.




Onto the south lake.


By now the boats were out in force, and just a couple of Swallows flying around. Hopefully the rest, and the Martins, will be back after the weekend. A lone Swift flew fairly high over the lake; my first this year.

When I reached the bushes where the Grasshopper Warbler was a couple of weeks ago, another sound had my ears pricking up. A Lesser Whitethroat. First this year, and a first for me here at the lake.

More of the usual warblers at the far end of the lake, and I spent some time admiring the wild flowers that are beginning to increase on a daily basis. Whilst I was down at flower level, my first dragonfly of the year flew up to the trees. Too quick for an ID, but exciting to see.

As I neared the car park, the Common Gull was swimming closer to the edge of the lake; 



probably hoping for some food from the people starting to walk round the lake now. And 3 Gadwall. Surprised to see them.

Back at the footbridge, a few more joggers were around now, and so a quick wander through the grass, before I left for home.


 Damsels and Dragons! 


The grass seemed to be full of damselflies. They were everywhere, as I slowly walked by the edge of the scrub and bushes. And another dragon, skimmed over the grass, into the trees.


An excellent end to April.








Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Common Swift [sp] (Apus apus)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Garden Warbler [sp] (Sylvia borin)
Lesser Whitethroat [sp] (Sylvia curruca)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total species  44

10 comments:

  1. No chance of your video. Took me four goes to upload a post. it's a good picture by my standard of the garden warbler. It is good weather but cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my those siggies are to die for;-) Very eastery indeed, I hope they make it. How much seed grub do you go through in a week mate? Think you need to buy in bulk

    ReplyDelete
  3. That musta been super! Great images!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images of your day Keith.
    Just back from the lakes and the highlight was seeing an Osprey catch a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was only yesterday I was looking at my pond and wondering when the first damsels would appear. Not for a while yet judging by the cold winds we are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Adrian. It's been windy here, but sunny.

    Thanks Debbie. A fair bit of seed lol Although they've slowed down a lot recently; I think they're getting 'natural' food at the moment.

    Amila, thank you. It was a great mornings visit.

    Thanks Andrew. I bet that was a great sight to see.

    I was surprised to see the damsels John. Didn't notice any yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ill say it was a beautiful day for you!! AWWWW to your chic pix...I just love them!!
    That oystercatcher is brilliant among the flowers...congrats on that warbler photo!!! Hard to get a good shot among the leaves now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Keith...You sound fantastic...and it looks like you had a great day!! : }
    The photo of those yellow chicks and yellow flower is just darling!!
    Stocking Mallards what a riot.. the neck popping up out of the grass lol
    Lovely video...need I say I loved the flowers...you better brush up on names, I'm going to be checking!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking shot of the Oyc tip-toeing through the daisies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sondra. Me and the birds have quite a battle at times for pictures lol

    Grammie, it was an excellent day; today was just as good :)
    Flowers, damselflies and dragonflies, all need some revision now.

    Cheers Graeme. He really loves that spot at the moment. Always seems to be there.

    ReplyDelete