Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Nice in the sun


The new computer is running, but I’m still trying to get my files and pictures back on it; and the new camera arrived yesterday, so a brief visit after work, to try it out. It all seems very strange.

A couple of hours around the footbridge, and almost immediately, I found two Brambling.




Probably the best shots I’ve managed so far, so the new camera is performing well, even if I aint.

Along with a couple of Blackcap, singing  Chiffchaff, and a Swallow flying overhead, it was a good couple of hours.

The Common Gull is still on the island, the Cowslips are blooming all over the place, and butterflies were on the wing; Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, and Large White.

My first rushed video attempt at the end, using some new software too.

Still plodding along at work, but a day off Sunday, so between now and then, I hope to catch up with everyone. 






Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  28

14 comments:

  1. That's all right then it works and no more humping one cwt. of glass around. What are you using to edit? I find it a mind numbing job with Premier Elements but their sharpen and contrast filters do work though you have no control over them.
    Wish I could find a Brambling. I like pretty birds. I like Wrens but they move like greased lightening just as well they are a bit dowdy.
    Keep plugging away. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as though you are going to get some cracking shots with the new toys Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith....A little flustering is it lol...nothing like new equipment to drive you nuts!!! : } You "CAN" teach and "Old Dog"new tricks..hahaha!! you'll get it!!
    I think your photos and video,(and being the Brambling), look great!!
    Nice to see your post...Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the sunshine is welcome and the depth of colour looks good.

    Remind me .. which model did you splash out on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Keith ;) New computer and camera, Bramblings ready and waiting, and from the first results it looks like we're going to be in for a treat. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I like the bramblings! Excitingly waiting for more from your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Adrian. The software I used for this clip was Serif Movie Plus X5.
    It seems to do a lot, but I only scratched the surface here, and it took me ages. A bloke
    at work is getting me Sony Vegas 10; a monster piece.

    Thanks John. Still finding my way round everything; including the computer. I went
    from XP to Windows 7. My brain is fit to burst! lol

    Thanks grammie. It’s a bit of a nightmare at times. I feel like I’m just starting out again lol

    Cheers Frank. The sun was lovely. :)
    The camera is a Fuji HS20. Taking a bit of getting used to; but it’s very light to carry around.

    Cheers Trevor. The Bramblings were a real treat; two by the bridge, just enjoying the sun. :)
    I think I need a couple of days playing with this new camera, to get the hang of it though.

    Thank you Amila. The Bramblings are lovely looking birds, and not very common here; so a real treat to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got some nice shots of that Brambling now Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done with the Bramblings Keith! Now where have I seen those pretty birds before... ;)

    I can see you are having fun with your new toys, lovely piece of video, so colourful!

    I'm thinking of upgrading my camera but it is the weight which worries me, I have enough trouble with this one when the longer lens is on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Roy. The best views I've had so far :)

    Thank you Jan; they are colourful aren't they ;)
    This new camera weighs in at about a pound and three quarters. So light I thought I'd purchased an empty box when it was delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Bramblings are great to see Keith. Lovely images.
    Enjoy all your new kit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Andrew. It's all taking a bit of getting used to lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW congrats on the new STUFF- a double whammie new comp and camera..I know its brain numbing at first..lol I WANT a new camera so bad...Although I have lens envy I stay with my bridge type camera for WEIGHT reasons I love to hike and rarely use a tripod so weight is an issue for me. GREAT photos and vid--
    That Brambling is a very stunning bird no wonder you've been drooling to get a shot at it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sondra. This new one is a bridge camera, and it seems to be performing rather well. It's certainly lighter than my usual kit lol

    ReplyDelete