Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 21 April 2011

Grasshopper Warbler

First mornings visit to the local, after a few days away at the lake district; and what a morning.

The seed feeders still had a little seed left in some of them, so I'm thinking the birds are now getting their natural food. The seed is just a little helper, if they want it.
I could hear the Brambling, quite early, but no sign of it today.

I found some Red Campion growing,



and it always seems to brighten a dull corner, when it grows amongst everything else.
I think grammie might like this one.

I made my way round the north lake first, and spent some time trying to get a picture of the Reed Warblers, that seemed to be calling from every clump of reeds now.


The best I could manage.


Up by the swans nest, I found a female Mallard taking her young ones for a morning swim, before settling down for a rest.




Twelve little ones, three of them yellow. They spent a little time having a preen, and shake, and then they all squeezed underneath mum, for a sleep.



I wonder how many will survive?


I finished the north lake, and began to make my way round the south.

Walking along the edge, and checking the reeds, I found quite a few Sedge Warblers singing away.
Suddenly a sound stopped me in my tracks. The sound of a fishing line being reeled in; except this was a bird. A Grasshopper Warbler!
I spent almost an hour, carefully searching the bush from where the sound was coming from. Eventually I caught sight of him, as he flew towards the reeds, to get a drink from the lake. Excellent. A first for me, here, at Caldecotte.

I carried on round the lake, and back towards the car park, seeing Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler along the way.

Back at the footbridge, a fruitless search for the Brambling, and then home.






Full list of today's sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Kestrel [sp] (Falco tinnunculus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Common Grasshopper Warbler [sp] (Locustella naevia)
Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus)
Eurasian Reed Warbler [sp] (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
House Sparrow [sp] (Passer domesticus)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  43

13 comments:

  1. Keith...the ducklings are precious..I HOPE they all survive--Great macro shot too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely to see those little ducklings Sondra.
    I was talking to a man walking his dog there, and he said he noticed them yesterday. I'll have to keep an eye on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Keith .....why of course I do, you know I,m a "flower nut" thank you!!
    It is amazing that the gull is still surviving.!!
    Mother duck and her little peeps are adorable, and a bunny appropriate with Easter coming. LOL
    Hugs my friend, nice to hear that voice again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and video Keith.
    Excellent Red Campion shot.
    Now, I don’t know if you’ve thought of this, but if all of those cute little Mallard ducklings make it that’s a potential twelve more mouths for you to feed during next winter. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots of the Reed Warbler and the Mallard ducklings, but I didn't mention their mum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks grammie. The little ducklings were a joy to see.
    Easter? Hmmm, that means it will be busy tomorrow :(

    Cheers Trevor. I guess I'll have to start stocking my freezer with bread lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob. I think mum is going to be a busy lady for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super! Thanks for sharing these beauties with us,Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a great patch Keith. A++++.
    I am having a holiday in the Lakes next week and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Andrew. Yea, it is a great place, if you take the time to look. A lot of the local birders overlook it; maybe they want the birds on a stick for them.

    Enjoy your holiday, and I hope the sun shines for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very enjoyable return Keith :)

    Lovely photos of the Mallard ducklings. I had some nice ones but it was when the camera setting was wrong and they turned out turquoise :(

    I have heard Grasshopper Warblers but never managed to spot them. I had a similar experience last weekend with a Sedge Warbler just inches from me in a bush but I couldn't see it despite trying for some time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jan. The Grasshopper Warbler is pretty difficult to spot at times. They're masters of concealment.

    ReplyDelete