Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 18 March 2011

Super Siskin

A quick visit this morning, because work later, and I also wanted to pay a quick visit to Willen Lake, to see if I could see the Avocet that had been seen there.

I checked on the ‘island’ for any sign of the Common Gull, but nothing. A couple of larger gulls, but not the one I had hoped to see.
As I made my way back towards the footbridge, I heard a sound in the trees above.




Siskins. A small group feeding in the trees for a few minutes; and then they were gone. A lovely chance encounter.
Back at the footbridge, a few Chaffinch and Reed Buntings, along with the tits, and a couple of Mallards.

I walked under the road bridge, and had a quick scan of the lake with binoculars. Black-headed Gulls, Great Crested Grebes, Tufted Ducks and a few Wigeon, and then a couple of Mallard appeared by my feet. I fed those, then decided to make my way back to the car, and head off in search of the Avocet.

As I reached the footbridge, a brief glimpse of the Brambling.

At least he’s still around.








Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  27

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see the Siskins Keith, lovely photo too.

    Glad the Brambling is still around, I still have one visiting my garden :)

    There was an Avocet at Draycote recently, not when I was there though...the story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith...Do hope the gull is ok..I imagine it is not easy to find food with so much competition!!
    Nice siteing of the Siskins and nice photo to!!
    Take care. Hugs, and have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jan. Off to search for the Brambling soon. Looks like a nice day.

    Thanks grammie. I've got a weekend off work for a change, so I'll be round the lake.

    Cheers Adrian. They're lovely birds, and these were a good surprise.

    ReplyDelete