Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 5 March 2011

Saturday, and more Waxwings

I was hoping to see them again, and I wasn’t disappointed. A large flock of 50 or 60 turned up this morning, and settled in the same tree as yesterday.




And like yesterday, the sun came out after they left. Never mind.


The footbridge is continuing to attract plenty of birds,



but no sign of the Brambling today. There were two Black Swans that flew over though, heading north. Probably disturbed by the boat people.

I put another feeder up this morning; this time with sunflower hearts. As soon as I walked away from it, a Blue Tit landed on it, and helped himself to some seed. I think it’s going to be a popular one.

The Mallards were about, by the bridge,



and when I began my walk round the north lake, I was quickly joined by a few more. Fed them; and a couple of Canada Geese that were there too, and I made my escape, to continue my walk round.

I counted 14 Great Crested Grebe in one small area of the lake.



It certainly has a healthy population of these beautiful birds, and further round, another pair were performing the weed dance.
Not so many Wigeon around now, and I only saw one pair of Gadwall at the south lake. Still good numbers of Tufted Duck though.


Around the south lake, the highlights were a couple of Little Grebe, a female Goosander, and Buzzard soaring peacefully overhead; the Crows must have missed him.
Back at the footbridge, a little more seed, and a few pictures, before I left for home.


A good morning








Full list of today’s sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Black Swan (Cygnus atratus)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Buzzard [sp] (Buteo buteo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
Bohemian Waxwing [sp] (Bombycilla garrulus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  37

11 comments:

  1. Keith you are starting to wind me up. The first three images are superb. Make me look the rank amateur I am. Stop it I do have some pride. Brilliant post.
    Only joking.......do you also own a big fast prime lens like Bob does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith ..gorgeous photo of the Waxwing.
    Loved the weed dance of the Grebe's, wonder if that will catch on here in the states....maybe this summer at the beach. LOL
    Yup..I think a job for a seed company would be something to consider!! Get paided in seed!! lol
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adrian; some days I'm lucky.
    99% of my pictures are taken with the Canon 100-400mm L series. It's not particularly fast, but the image stabiliser helps.
    Not sure what lens Bob uses.

    Thanks grammie. Yea, the seed bill is climbing lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Waxwing photo is gorgeous Keith but then so are the others!

    When you get your job at the seed company I'll be coming to you for discount, I'm sure I spend more money on bird food than on my own :)

    Nice to see the Grebes putting on a bit of a performance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, I know the feeling. Between Jim and the birds, I have enough for toast lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post Keith. :0)

    What a rich selection of photographic subjects you've got there?. So engaging to watch thanks to your wonderful videos. ;0)

    Super Waxwing image btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another good day Keith. Lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Waxwing is brilliant, thank you Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Keith, I am glad you were able to see the Waxwings again. The female Blackbird is a really good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith--wow that waxwing shot is super--and the grebes too of course...such terrific birds...glad you had a great walk today

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Trevor. Just standing in front of the footbridge, and turning round in a circle, I counted 28 different species of bird. Amazing.

    Thanks Andrew :)

    Thank you Bob. I wonder if they'll be there today?

    Thanks Roy. A lot of the birds seem very trusting of me at the moment, and allow me to get fairly close.

    Thanks Sondra. I'm so glad this place is near to home.

    ReplyDelete