Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 6 March 2011

Cold Sunday

Dull, and very cold this morning.

I topped up the feeders, and left some seed, and then waited for Waxwings and a Brambling.

The Waxwings didn’t settle this morning, they were content to fly around in a large flock instead. Still, at least I saw them. The Brambling?
Well, I stood by the bridge for about an hour, but no sign.

I took a slow walk round part of the north lake, to try and warm up a bit, but I felt too cold to even bother doing that. I fed the Mallards that followed me part of the way, and saw some Wigeon in the distance, along with a few Tufted Duck.
Black-headed Gulls and Great Crested Grebe were in the water, and in the bushes, plenty of Long Tailed Tits, Blackbirds and a few Redwing. The cold got the better of me though, and I soon began walking back towards the car.

Up ahead, at the side of the footpath, a group of Chaffinch feeding on the ground, and in amongst them, a Brambling. Before I could get the camera up, to take a picture, a jogger ran up behind me, and sent them all off into the bushes. Half a dozen bikes followed, so that was the end of that.

Back at the footbridge, I left some more seed, which soon attracted the Chaffinch, Reed Buntings, and tits. While I stood looking at the Goldfinches on the feeders, I noticed some movement down below amongst the leaves.


 I'm determined to get a decent picture one day!

Three male Brambling, foraging with a group of Chaffinch. They soon were off into the bushes though, as more people came out walking their dogs, and pushing prams.

Still, at least I know there’s more than one now.








Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Bohemian Waxwing [sp] (Bombycilla garrulus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  28

7 comments:

  1. Another great post. Keep it up I have trouble shooting captive subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrian. I'll be glad when summer comes; it's been bloody cold here today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video Keith.

    I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you get those much deserved pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Trevor. I went back this afternoon; the sun came out, and managed a few more shots of the Brambling. Nothing exciting though; too many people about. There was a Siskin on the feeders though, arguing with the Goldfinches lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my third time of trying Keith, nothing to do with your site, I just kept getting interrupted! An enjoyable visit, I felt for you regarding the Bramblings, everywhere I go there seem to be not joggers but dog walkers lately! As you know I absolutely adore dogs but they always seem to turn up when I am about to take a photo...but of course it's the owners that cause the interruption not the dogs ;)

    I'm sure I would see more if only I could do early mornings but I just can't :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you get that Brambling soon Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jan. The weekend is notoriously busy here; I'll have to try again this afternoon, after work.

    Roy, I keep trying. lol

    ReplyDelete