Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 19 February 2011

Wet Saturday

A day off work, and it pours with rain.

And joggers, and boats…………..typical!

It was never going to be the best day of the week, but it wasn’t too bad in the end. The highlight of a wet walk round the north lake, was a female Goosander. As I squelched my way along, I kept telling myself ‘spring is on its way.’
Even some of the birds are thinking spring is on its way; a couple of Coots were nest building, Great Crested Grebes head waggling, and Mallards getting amorous.

A few Wigeon were feeding out on the grass bank, and some Canada Geese were grazing too. Quite a few Tufted Ducks were flying around, put up by the dreaded boats, and some of the swans were busily flying around the lake too.

Back at the footbridge, the birds were out in force; Reed Buntings, Chaffinch, Blackbirds, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Robins, Goldfinches on the Nyger feeder, Crows and Magpies at the ‘bird table’, and even some Mallards had wandered over for some seed.



I stood on the footbridge for some time, just watching everything unfold before me.

It got me thinking, that maybe it’s time to change the direction my life is heading.









Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  28

14 comments:

  1. That was a very intriguing last sentence Keith, you are teasing us now! Whatever direction it is, I hope it won't involve leaving us...

    The weather is just as miserable here so it was particularly nice to enjoy some birding with you and with only one of us getting cold and wet ;)

    Lovely to see the Goosander and the Wigeon and all the little ones at 'your' feeding station!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan. The feeding station is proving to be very popular now, and it's great to see so many birds there.

    I'll still be blogging.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith...It sounds so spring like there...love hearing the birds and even though you don't like it, even the pitter patter of rain sounds good !!
    What's this changing the direction your life is going...does that mean I should start to put plumbing in the room over the garage??? hahaha!!
    Hugs for better times my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of rain grammie, but not when I'm walking around in it lol
    I got soaked this morning.
    Don't worry about the plumbing; I'll just pitch a tent in the woods ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree with shy songbirds, what are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, I'm not too sure yet. Probably something stupid lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...inquiring minds need answers---I know what ever it is, you wont do anything stupid--you're way too smart for that-
    Once again my friend. I cant think of a better reason to take a walk in the rain than to see the beautiful birds enjoying their bounty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dixxe. I've got work today, and the rain has stopped; typical! lol
    I should be there now, but a little late. Never mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super video Keith.
    You've certainly turned that drab little bridge into something a bit special now.
    Now, who do you think had the best Saturday, you getting soaking wet watching the the birds or me spending ALL day herding the mother in law around the shops in Milton Keynes?
    You've also got me a little intrigued now and possibly a little bit worried too! ;( :[

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see the birds taking advantage of the free food. It rained all day yesterday but when we went for our afternoon walk there were still lots of birds singing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers Trevor. Hope you enjoyed the shops. I've avoided them for years lol

    Thanks John. I quickly went over there this morning,; no rain, but lots of birds. I'll have to post it later.
    I should have been at work for 6 a.m. I'm running a little late ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey ! Hope you will still be walking around your lake and show us beautiful birds ... whatever the direction will be !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are we ever going to get some nice weather Keith.???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Pescalune; I hope so too.

    It's been pretty bad hasn't it Roy.

    ReplyDelete