Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 3 February 2011

Thursday

The morning started clear, but soon got cloudy.

About 8 or 9 Blackbirds were waiting by the footbridge this morning, probably wondering where the seed was. As soon as I left some, they were back, sorting out their favourites from the mix. The feeders had a few Great Tits on them already, and the Crows were patiently waiting for theirs too.

Feeding done, I quickly walked round the south lake first, checking the reeds for Bitterns; no luck though. The usual ducks and geese about, and a large flock of Lapwing flying overhead, south to north.

Back at the footbridge, most of the seed had been eaten, and quite a few Chaffinches and Reed Buntings about. I topped up with some more, and set off for the north lake.

I just managed to get near the road bridge, and then the Mallards spotted me. They seem to come out of nowhere. Seed for them, then I can make my getaway, to continue round the lake.

At the top end of the lake, a female Goosander was swimming with a few Tufted Ducks and Wigeon; and in the trees, Crows, Magpies and a few Redwing. Two Sparrowhawks lazily flew overhead, unnoticed by the Crows, so they had a hassle free flight for a change.

Back at the footbridge, the seed had almost gone again, and a few Siskin were in the trees, by the feeders. I watched the birds on the bridge for a while, and then made my way home. Work later.







Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  38

6 comments:

  1. Thanks again for this Keith............I'm just in and it made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another entertaining video Keith.
    I wonder if the Crows ever go back to retrieve their bread?
    I reckon it won`t be long before those Mallard are waiting for you in the car park. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this video of your neighboring birds. Those Crows are clever for sure. Running Ducks are always comical. Great idea and good for you.
    I just found this blog so I am going to scroll and stroll through the rest of it. MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seed doesnt have a chance with all those mouths to feed! Hope your day at work was good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is funny, the other day, I watched a Sparrowhawk being chased by a Crow, then it turned about and found itself attacking the Crow. I couldn't stop laughing to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Adrian. Not long in myself now; and knackered lol

    Thanks Trevor. I think the bread probably rots away in a few days; and the Mallards, hmmmm, they probably will wait, the Blackbirds seem to at the moment lol

    SCS, thank you. Hope you enjoyed your visit here, and come back again :)

    Dixxe, I get through more bird food here than I do at home lol
    Work was tiring :(

    Bob, I'm surprised the raptors don't do that more often.

    ReplyDelete