Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 2 February 2011

It’s Wednesday

…..and quite cold.

I just ventured round the north lake this morning, after feeding the waiting birds at the footbridge. The Blackbirds and Chaffinch seemed to be waiting for their breakfast this morning, and as I stepped off the bridge, they came swooping down.

The Mallards were next, as I wandered along the edge of the lake. A group came out of nowhere, to land at my feet, waiting for their handout.
Further round the path, a group of a dozen or more Waxwing landed briefly in the tops of the trees, before flying off; presumably looking for some berries.

Up at the top of the lake, by the weir, the usual group of Wigeon, Gadwall and Pochard, and a Buzzard was mobbed overhead by two noisy Crows.

Back at the bridge, more seed, and some food for the Crows; and then home.








Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Buzzard [sp] (Buteo buteo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
Bohemian Waxwing [sp] (Bombycilla garrulus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  30

9 comments:

  1. The crow is really funny. I often wonder if they can remember where they put stuff. It rotten cold today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that buried bread isn't going to last long Adrian.
    I can't seem to get warm at all today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 7.5C outside but only 3.6 with the wind chill today. A supply of fat balls is about the only way to keep LTTs in one place for more than a few seconds. Great coverage of the Crow hiding its food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith, most of this country is under snow..but here in my state it was much needed rain! Crows are fearless dont you think? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks John. The Crows seem to bury more food than they eat lol

    I think Crows are great Dixxe; such characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so funny, those Crows are always bury something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if they remember where Bob lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keith, once I was walking around the pond with my Matthew and suddenly we noticed all the ducks from the pond came to us, they hover and hover around the stroller and then left. I have a feeling that people feed them regularly. Next time I bring some food. But I heard that feeding them with bread isn't that good.

    Love the video, the swan was really beautiful. I don't have much of a close up on my camera for video, so many times I put my camera in sports mode and shoot every moment when birds are in action. One thing I always get, is when they clean their beaks after eating, it is so much fun to watch.

    Great day on your part again.

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Anna. You're right, white bread doesn't have any nutritional value for birds, it just fills them up. Brown is better ;)
    I usually give them a little bread, then a couple of handfuls of mixed seed; keeps them busy enough for me to make my escape lol
    I use a little handycam recorder for my video; fits in my pocket. :)

    ReplyDelete