Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 13 February 2011

It could be spring.

A day off, so I headed over to the lake this morning.

Dull, cloudy, and windy. And joggers. The day didn’t have a lot going for it.

The daffodils at the side of the road, really add a splash of much welcome spring colour,





and there are signs everywhere, that spring is trying to make itself felt.
Blossom on some trees,



new growth pushing through the ground, and the grebes doing plenty of head waggling.

I left some seed at the bridge, and walked the north lake. Far too many joggers for my liking, (some sort of race was on), and the added bonus of bikes too; I didn’t stay long this morning.
A female Goosander was a nice sight; Mallard, that needed feeding, and plenty of Tufted Duck.

Back at the bridge, as I stood watching the birds grabbing the seed, in-between the disturbance of the passers by, something caught my eye, to the left of me.
A Sparrowhawk was in pursuit of a Chaffinch, which dived for cover in the bushes, leaving the Sparrowhawk making a very undignified entrance. He didn’t stay long, I guess the embarrassment got the better of him, and he quickly left.


I decided to do the same too.





Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  30

16 comments:

  1. Thought I had commented enough..........bloody runners, bloody cyclisters..............Bloody brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Adrian.
    Yea, they were a bloody pain today. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith, don't head north snow drops and winter aconite are all we have. Daffodils they are a May flower. The Easter Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring is definitely just around the corner Keith.

    And what`s the popular saying?......if you can`t beat them......! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely combination Adrian. Not seen any Winter Aconite yet.

    Trevor, I don't think I'll be joining any of this lot lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take a snap of some tomorrow. I'm going Churching that's where they grow. Winter Aconites only are to be found in grave yards. As you know I'm a botagalist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good, over here, we've had nothing but almighty rain. And the Daffodils, they are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness me Keith, those Daffs are early.
    Lovely shots of them, especially the low level one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Bob. Had the rain here from mid day. Horrible weather :(

    Thanks Roy. These daffs have been out all this week here. The earliest I've seen. Some elsewhere are only just up about 6 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daffs are rising in my garden Keith but the variety I have are going to take a while to flower. I do get to see lots of wild ones along the lanes on my commute to work. A beautiful start to spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are a welcome sight after all the snow, aren't they Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Adrian we have Winter Aconite and Snowdrops but daffs are only half height yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Keith...the Daffodils and the pink flowers just a lovely sight as I look at snow!!
    Do you remember all that complaining about the snow and the cold you did,well ..it kept those joggers and cyclists away didn't it...really no happy medium is there!! lol :}}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks John. These daffs are always early here. I haven't noticed any out elsewhere in MK.

    Thanks grammie. Yea, no pleasing me at times lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cant beleive your spirng is ahead of mine--Beautiful--

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Dixxe. This time last year we were just getting over snow. I hope it doesn't come back, I rather like this better weather lol

    ReplyDelete