Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 20 February 2011

I'm late

I should have been at work for 6 a.m., but I was running a little late.

Never mind

I put some seed at the footbridge, and almost immediately the small birds came down in big numbers. The Crows and Magpies were there too; and boats, joggers and bikes. The only thing missing was rain, but I think that will arrive before the day is out.

A lightning fast visit this morning, and a quick video.







Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  21

7 comments:

  1. HI Keith....Working crazy hours huh!!
    Having a weekday off is good though...less people around the lake!!
    As many time as I have seen those Crows bury there food I can not help but laugh every time..just so comically!!
    Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super stuff Keith,I'm sure theres a wildlife videographers career in there somewhere lol. Those Crows are just amazing,aren't they?
    I can see why you're in no hurry to go to work :{

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks grammie; yea, a crazy job with crazy hours lol
    The Crows always make me smile too, when they bury their food.

    Thanks Trevor. I'll have to save for a proper video camera ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your crows--today was what you Brits call a bank holiday here in the USA- BUT didnt affect me since I am currently working at home-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sondra. I've had a very welcome day off work today; just an ordinary one lol
    Yea, the Crows are great. I could watch them for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crows are superb entertainment. I've seen Magpies do this but never crows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Adrian. These Crows are just brilliant. I could watch their antics all day.

    ReplyDelete