Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 18 February 2011

Having a moan

I noticed today, that someone had left another bag of seed hanging in the bushes by the footbridge; which was good to see, but not the rubbish left at one of the picnic tables by the car park.

So annoying to think that people go to the trouble of taking their food there, enjoying it in the nice surroundings, and then leave the rubbish, and expect someone else to clear up after them.
The council could help a bit though; there isn’t any litterbins there. Not that that is an excuse to leave the litter there, but it might help.

Well the birds don’t leave much litter; the seed and food goes everyday. A large group of Reed Buntings and Chaffinch this morning, on the bridge, and a couple of Blackbirds and Robins.



Another red bag of seed has mysteriously appeared in the bushes, so I don’t think the birds here will ever starve. I topped up all the feeders, put some food on the picnic table, and then made my way round the north lake.

A cloudy morning, and not very much about, apart from the usual sightings.

As I got half way round the north lake, a large flock of birds caught my eye in the distance. Swirling around, in a large group, looking like Starlings. Not Starlings though; these were Waxwings. About a 100 of them, and they finally settled in a tree, near the edge of the lake. A group dropped down, and began feeding in some bushes, of the front garden, of one of the houses.
I began to make my way there as quickly as I could, and their chattering was filling the air. The owner of the house came out, to get in his car, and the birds flew back into the tree.
I was getting nearer, and then suddenly they all took flight, and headed off. No pictures, but a great sight to see.

I carried on, and finally got back to the footbridge, after feeding the Mallards by the pub. Topped up the bridge again, and then home.


Work later.









Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Bohemian Waxwing [sp] (Bombycilla garrulus)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species   28

9 comments:

  1. Definitely becoming the Birdy Bistro of the South there Keith. lol

    What effort does it take to have a plastic bag to put the rubbish in and dump it in the boot of the car until you get home? It does seem strange though that there are no litter bins nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent stuff Keith! Nothing more guaranteed to get me ranting than people who litter!! Where and how were they dragged up? I would never, ever even think of dropping litter, it is disgusting. They must bring the food in a bag in the first place so why can't they put the debris in that and take it home with them? I agree, there should be more waste bins although I have noticed round here that often they can't even be bothered to use them. Also what about the people who clear up after their dogs and then hang the bag on a branch, what the hell is that about?? Oh dear, pass me the tranquillisers :)

    Anyway it is good to see that the bird food you leave is well received and that others are leaving it too, I am pleasantly surprised that the feeders haven't been interfered with by the local yobs, I have a horrible feeling they would be here!

    A shame you couldn't photograph the Waxwings this time but could I have coped with the envy I wonder ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont understand the people who litter! I know putting trash cans would give them a place to throw it put then that increases the budget of the park--someone would have to be paid to remove it--They were able to bring in it they should have been able to take it out too--
    Love the little Robin so cute...and the video was fun as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith, it makes me angry as well, presumably these selfish louts leave their rubbish behind because they have no room left at home or maybe they`re so thick that they don`t know what beautiful means.
    I guess the council haven`t got enough money to supply bins, and even if they did it would cost more money to empty them. You got me going now! :{ :{

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith ..well now its a good think the "tinker" is working well after that little "rant"!! lol Sorry I could help saying that!!
    It is a shame though..I found beer bottles on the top of a very high mountain I climbed once, that is crazy!!
    At least there are people who are feeding the birds! Hugs try to stay calm..lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. On my local area there seem to be plenty of dog poo bins but not many rubbish bins, it really upsets me when people leave there litter in such wild places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are wasting your life. You have a rant on the video, it comes across as sympathetic and poignant. You are superb at it. If I ever get round to video it would take me a day to voice over.............top form you are on today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear your moan about the rubbish Keith. My real rant is about the dog walkers who scoop then when nobody is looking dump the plastic bag full of sh**e.

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, it certainly is. The birds wait in the mornings now, if I turn up a bit late lol
    The rubbish is a real problem here, especially in the summer.

    Thanks Jan. Totally agree with you on the doggy bags. There’s quite a few hanging on the trees and bushes round here. Why people do that I’ll never know.
    When I first put the bird feeders up, I did wonder if they would escape the yobs eyes. So far so good :)

    Dixxe, I totally agree. They can bring food, why not take the rubbish home.
    It is very frustrating.

    Trevor, it is so annoying to think some people just make a mess like that. I’m sure they wouldn’t think of doing it at home. I guess more bins would mean more local taxes. Maybe I should invest in a shotgun?

    Thanks grammie. Yea, some things in life really wind me up at times ;)

    Totally agree Mike. It is so annoying isn’t it.

    Thanks for your kind words Adrian. I did try a bit of restraint during that rant lol

    Andrew, that’s another one of my pet hates. I can never understand that.

    ReplyDelete