Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 22 February 2011

A day off

A welcome day off work today, so I had time to walk round north and south lake.

I got there a little later than usual, and as soon as I began putting some food down, the birds were there. The Crows after the bread and biscuits, and a couple of Mallards after some too. The feeders at the footbridge needed topping up; I’m surprised how quickly they are going down now. And as soon as the footbridge was topped up, the birds began to arrive.



At the road bridge I was accosted by some Mallards; I’m sure they sit and wait for me. Fed them, and then I made my way round the north lake first.

A Grey Wagtail flew across the water at the top end, and a group of Wigeon were out grazing with some Canada Geese. Tufted Duck, Coots and Great Crested Grebes made up the bulk of the rest of the birds, and a couple of Jays flew overhead.

Past the pub, and then on round the south lake. It’s been a while since I walked this part of the lake, and I was hoping to see some Little Grebes; they usually hang around at the far end. I managed a very quick glimpse of one, as it made its way into the safety of some reeds.
A sad sight was a Common Gull, which looked as though he had a broken wing. He swam across to the edge, and then made his way through the bushes, preening his damaged wing, and searching for some food in the leaf litter.

At the boat sheds I stopped to feed some Swans and Mallards, and soon attracted the attention of a group of Black-headed Gulls too. A couple of Mallards were getting very amorous, and eventually parted, and paired up with different partners! You see it all here.

Back at the footbridge, a bit more seed, and I watched the birds for a while, before heading home. A pleasant morning.








Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  37

15 comments:

  1. Ahh... a day off. I hate to say that I spent my last two days off sitting, sleeping and being sick. SPRING is comming though! I'll watch the video later, it won't come up on this computer. Have a great day, evening for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're better now, Dale.
    I was going to do so much today, and then didn't lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super stuff Keith,
    Moving into the X rated videos now are we? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Trevor. Yea, he was pretty persistent that Mallard lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith...just like some of those movies that seem so innocent and clean and they have to stick an xploited scene in there " for shame" lol lol!!
    Sorry your day of wasn't sunny, but it looks like you enjoyed anyway!!
    Your not getting a "hug' for this one. hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those naughty Mallards are always at it grammie lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it took twice as long as it should have to get through the video Keith, my provider's fault not yours I am sure. It stuttered its way through and I almost got to the slinging it out of the window stage ;) However it was worth the slog and you had a good visit with lots to see. I have read that female Mallards have been drowned by persistent males! That one was certainly very persistent!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gonna get better soon, I wish.............

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jan. I think I should do shorter videos, but I get carried away at times. I forget about possible problems playing them back on here lol

    Thanks Bob; I hope so too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An impressive sighting list. Wow. And not surprising to me because I've been to your other blog, the photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing your day off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for stopping by, and commenting Sallie.
    Glad you enjoyed your visits :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice editing............better commentary and pictures. ta!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Adrian. Some days it just flows lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great day Keith. I would love to read what made you start birdwatching. See my last blog post.
    Regards Andrew

    ReplyDelete