Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Computer woes……

……and wet weather.

A brief visit this morning, just taking in the north lake. I had to get back for the computer doctor.

No video today, it takes so long to do on this trusty laptop, and I have work soon, so the writing will have to do today. And a couple of pictures from yesterday.



One of the many Blackbirds that are at the footbridge in the mornings. These seem to be the first visitors, followed by the Chaffinch and Tits.

From what I could see of the south lake, it all appears to have thawed out; and most of the north lake too. Still some areas frozen, but the bulk has thawed. The sun yesterday, and the rain today has helped.

It must be getting closer to spring. A pair of Mallards thought so. The rest saw me wandering around, and came over for some food. It was good to hear three different Song Thrush singing from the trees, and lots of Long Tailed Tits, sweeping through the branches. The Heron was in his usual spot, under one of the foot bridges, and another up by the weir.



a big group of Wigeon were out on the grass feeding, in their usual spot too. Haven’t sorted the pictures for today yet though.

Back home, the computer doctor came, pronounced the bad news, and took the patient away, to have a new hard drive fitted; and operating system, etc. etc.
He might be able to recover some of the data, for a price, so it looks like I’m back on toast again.

And it’s raining.



Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  28

15 comments:

  1. Blackbirds are always the first to arrive here Keith. They are up and about as soon as it stars to get light.

    Oh dear. Real computer woes. I read somewhere that these days we should really change our hard drives every three to five years. Easy for backup drives but more complicated with the main drive holding the operating system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand shots Keith. He should be able to recover it all......time for windows 7 if you don't already have it........it is what XP and Vista should always have been. It also fires up a warning of impending drive problems so in theory one can remove the drive and copy it.........One could I couldn't way beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the computer Keith, lets hope the doctor can apply the right treatment and recover some of your files.Don`t toast all the bread, remember the Crows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought you`d like this, the verificatoin word for my last comment was SWORE......and I bet you did. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toast is good, rain is good. Your blogs are great. Good luck with the hard drive, no backup? I lost 10,000 or so images a couple of years ago and it still stings, some were of family. I feel your pain...

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Keith...so sorry about the bad new..and the toast !! : {
    Good photo of the Heron...he looks so serious or perhaps leary!!
    Things could be worse than rain ..it is snowing here right now and it is only a precursor for the storm for tomorrow of 12 inches or more!!
    A few Hugs to go with toast lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics - love the heron :)
    And ... damn shit for the computer :(
    Hope doctor will be able to recover some data at least !!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Keith. I've missed you over at Holdingmoments and thought I'd stop in here to see what was going on. So sorry to hear about the computer problems. They're wonderful when they work, but they sure let us down when they don't. Have you considered an online backup system? Your photos are too good to risk losing. I use Carbonite, but I don't know if it's available there in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks John.
    The problem is we never know when a drive will fail. I was an hour away from backing up when the computer just died.

    I’m going to keep XP I think Adrian; for what I do with a computer these days, it should be fine……....and cheaper. Not sure if I can afford the cost of data recovery; I’d backed everything up to the end of last year, so it’s just Januarys stuff. The annoying thing is all my Waxwing shots lost though.

    Cheers Trevor. Suitable word verification. lol

    Thanks Dale. After losing my stuff about 18 months ago, when the graphics card went, I back up more often, so not a total disaster, thankfully. Just Januarys work. :(

    Thanks grammie.
    You certainly having plenty of snow. We got fog tonight now lol

    Pescalune, thank you. I think I’m going to be busy over the next few days, when the computer comes back. Such a damn nuisance!

    Thanks Linda; I’ll have a look at that.
    I’ve got most of my stuff backed up on external hard drives, so all is not lost. I use Elements to tag my pictures, and although it will read them again, (I tried a few on my laptop), it doesn’t sort them into the sub categories. Pretty annoyed about that; I don’t fancy re-tagging 11,000 pictures again lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH...dang lost the wax wing shots-- you have a few on Flickr maybe? As we say here its always Something! Great Photos of the Black Bird & the Heron!
    Hope you get your comp back soon, I know how annoying it can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pain! I hope he can at least get your Waxwing photos back.

    I love the Heron photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breathtaking grey heron photo, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dixxe, I've got a few low res shots of the Waxwings that I've posted, so at least I have something.

    Thanks Jan. I'll have to see what it costs for a recovery of the drive.

    Thank you Wilma. He loves that spot; always there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really great pictures of the Blackbird and the Heron.

    ReplyDelete