Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Wet Wednesday

Dull, cloudy morning, and then rain.

I was a bit late getting to the lake this morning, and by the time I did get there, it was as light as it was going to get. Fed the Crows, and put some seed on the bridge, then made a slow walk round the north lake.

No sign of the Bittern today; in fact no sign of very much at all. A fairly quiet morning, but I guess the rain didn’t help much.
I stopped to talk to a few people as I made my way round, and fed the Mallards near the pub, and then made my way back to the car park.

I had an idea of going to another lake, just up the road, but after topping up the seed on the bridge again, it started to rain quite heavy, so I decided to leave, and go home.

The foot bridge has become quite an attraction now, with the smaller birds; and the Crows. I counted 15 Chaffinch at one point. There may have been more, but they kept on the move. Good to see so many though.





Wet Wednesday from holdingmoments on Vimeo.




Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  32

10 comments:

  1. Hi Keith....May be a dull morning there,but at least I see green grass there in your video...we have gotten 4 inches of snow in 3 hours.. and not a bird in sight!! lol
    All your feathered buddies look happy with your generousity!!
    Make sure you keep doing that,because some morning they will be at your doorstep looking for there seeds!!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Keith, the bridge is getting so popular now you`ll soon have to do hourly feeds!!

    When sorting through the pictures from my short visit to the bridge yesterday, I found a very bad picture of a Common Whitethroat, I`m just wondering if you`ve spotted any there recently?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grammie, thankfully our snow has gone, and I hope it doesn't return lol

    The seed is going so quickly now Trevor, you may be right. lol
    A Common Whitethroat did nest by the bridge a couple of years ago in early summer, but they usually winter in Africa, and return here late April. Maybe this one didn't go away for the winter? Strange. I'll have a good look there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ITs great the way nature responds to man....now if man could just respond to nature in the same way SOME of us do right my friend...nothing does my heart more joy than to let nature FEED ME!..have a great evening..I enjoyed the video very much..what a group of songbirds you had today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where I now sit at work, the fog is so thick that you can not see the cars in the parking lot just outside. I am going stur crazy, its time to get out and go somewhere - anywhere...
    Have A Great Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, I'll be glad to see some sunshine for a change.

    Thanks Dixxe. Couldn't agree more with what you say. The more I visit the lake, the more I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to post a comment an hour or so ago but decided to post my post first. You inspired me to get off my bum and write. Thanks and thanks for being so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Adrian. Some days it's easier than others lol
    Wet and damp weather is no good to anyone though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale, I can understand your frustration. I'm lucky at the moment, that I can get out every day, even if only for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete