Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 9 January 2011

Sunday sunshine

Well, am I behind today? Just a bit; but it's been a great day.

Breakfast sorted, chicken, seed, and toast, (I’ll let you guess what one was mine), I made a quick trip to our local Tesco store, at Bletchley, to see some birds that have been hanging around there for a few days.



Waxwings! Must have been about 200 of them! I spent an amazing 2 hours there, and took 391 pictures. It’s going to take a while to sort through them properly, and I’ll do a separate post on my other blog when I get sorted.

But back to the lake.

A frosty start to the day, but the sun soon came out, and by 9 a.m., it was like a summers day; apart from the cold. Plenty of birds now taking advantage of the seed on the bridge,



and after feeding a few of the Mallards, I made my way round the north lake. A pair of Red Crested Pochard were a good find, and plenty of Tufted Duck and Wigeon, up at the top end.

I walked back to the car park, via the road bridge, and spent some time watching the various birds enjoying the seed, after topping it up again. Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Reed Buntings, Robins,


 Blue Tits and Great Tits. Great to see so many.

A very quick walk round half the south lake, but it didn’t reveal much else, apart from dog walkers, joggers, and the dreaded boating oiks. Yea, time to head home.

No video today, but some for later, on the other blog, of the Waxwings.

And Jim is making fantastic progress now. A healthy appetite, and up to his old trick of sneaking onto the settee when I’m out. That’s my boy!!


Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Red-crested Pochard (Netta rufina)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  33

11 comments:

  1. I can see its been a great day for you Keith.
    The first photo told me that.{:)
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith
    What a sight those Waxwings they are such beautiful bird!!
    Nice to see that everybody ate well this morning..except for Keith that is lol
    Darn boats!! : }}
    Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith. I think you and Jim have got it sorted, he gets a chicken dinner and the settee and you get to watch beautiful birds all day, magic {;)

    Aren`t those Waxwings just so photogenic? Especially on a bright sunny day like today. I can`t wait to see your photos/video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW the waxwings are stunning !!! Lucky you :)
    Glad Jim is better !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images. I had my Waxwing moment in November. Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Roy. One of those 'special' days.
    I'm still trying to sort through the pictures I took, so easy to keep the finger on the button when these birds are about. lol

    Thanks grammie. Yea, breakfast time is quite busy at the moment, but he's enjoying the fuss.
    I could do with the sun in the week, when the boats are all tucked up. ;)

    Trevor, those birds are just amazing aren't they.
    I didn't get anything spectacular though; but had a great morning. Jim's enjoying the comforts at the moment lol

    Thank you Pescalune. Jim will soon be back to his tinned dog meat lol
    He's made great progress now. Back to his usual self. :)

    Thanks Andrew. Spectacular birds aren't they.
    This was my best moment with them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Keith, 200 Waxwings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking you got the seed? Because you want to be healthy? Naw. Visit http://mountainlyon.blogspot.com she interviewed me and, well I had to put in a short plug for you as well.
    Keep it comming, great images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bob, it was amazing to see so many. I'll never forget the moment.

    Thanks Dale, and for the mention. Great interview.
    I should eat the seed, but...... lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear Jim is getting back to normal.
    Lovely set of photos all round. Look forward to the Waxwing video.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks John. He gave me quite a scare, but he seems much better now.

    ReplyDelete