Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 6 January 2011

A new bird

Pretty dull this morning, but I made a quick visit round the north lake for a change.
Glad I did. About half is still frozen though, and after topping up the seed at the car park bridge, I headed to top end.
A Heron under the footbridge, in his usual place, a Grey Wagtail, in his usual place, a few Tufted Duck, Wigeon and Mallards, a male Goldeneye, and a female Goosander.
Just as I thought that was it, I caught sight of something else, standing on the ice.
A wader. I managed to get a few pictures before it flew off; it turned out to be a Black-tailed Godwit. Excellent. First one I’ve seen here.



Back to the footbridge, and a quick walk to the south lake. Much more has thawed here, and of course the birds are spread out. another female Goosander though, so she was good to see.

Back at the footbridge I topped up the seed again, and then made my way home, to see Jim


Latest news on Jim; another trip to the vet for a painkilling injection, and to put my own mind at rest. He seems a bit better, had a sleep, some chicken, and now some more sleep.

I’ll catch up with everyone later this evening; I have to get to work now.




Thursday morning from holdingmoments on Vimeo.


Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Common Goldeneye [sp] (Bucephala clangula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-tailed Godwit [sp] (Limosa limosa)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  38

8 comments:

  1. HI Keith a couple of comical moments there with the gull upstaging the Godwit and the bullying Swan!! : } lol
    I do hope that Jim will be doing better by the end of this day..
    Hugs my friend, and a pat on the head for Jim!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super video Keith, and a good spot with the Godwit,(was that a giant Woodpecker I could hear in the background? lol.)

    I had a quick visit to the South Lake yesterday and topped up the bridge three times with seed (I think the wind was blowing it off quicker than the birds could eat it!)

    Glad to hear that Jim is getting better.

    btw, Vimeo seems to be better quality than youtube, maybe more light now tho`.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW when I first saw the photo my mind said Willet-but thats because Ive never seen a Godwit Awesome...and Im glad to know Jim is on the mend. Give 'em a pat from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Blackwit Keith thats a turn up for the books - nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks grammie. Jim is still feeling very sorry for himself, even after a dinner of fresh chicken and rice. He's eating better than me lol

    Thanks Trevor, and thanks for doing the seed too. They're certainly getting through it. I tried uploading the video to YouTube and Vimeo today; YT didn't work, 3 attempts.......Vimeo first go.
    Much better I reckon.

    Thanks Dixxe. Jim's fast asleep at the moment, laying by feet. He's getting plenty of cuddles :)

    Cheers Roy. First one I've seen there. Couldn't believe it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant even tell you have much I loved your movie. So much ice . The birds have to have so much endurance.
    Thanks for sharing. Hope all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sunset on the Lake in your header. How very stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Lisa. The poor birds do have a tough time in the winter months.
    Glad you liked the header.

    ReplyDelete