Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 21 January 2011

Friday morning

A very quick visit this morning, as I had a doctor’s appointment later. I concentrated my efforts around the footbridge at the car park, and it was good to see so many Chaffinches and others enjoying the seed.
There’s also a new sign near the car park.



A map of the lake, and encouraging people to ride their bikes in the ‘park’.
Not sure I’m keen on the idea of loads of bikes bombing around the lake; we’ll have to see.






Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris britannica)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  25

13 comments:

  1. Keith, please can you do the next video while riding around the lakes on your bike!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith.."guess what" it is snowing here again 8-10 inches expected...don't believe I'll be seeing any grass anytime soon like you!!
    Busy birds there this morning ...what was that black and white bird that walked under the picnic table when you showed the Crow??
    Ya...I say how about a biking video to!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at your reaction to the sign encouraging folk to ride their bikes round the lake, it was exactly the reaction I would have had! Cyclists can be a pain when they come up behind you with no sound, it's like that at Draycote and most of them don't even glance at the wildlife!

    Nice to see the Reed Bunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly enough Keith I have seen a lot of chaffinches in the last couple of days, very noticeable. These signs are all very well, we have them scattered around the 90 miles of cycle ways on the "Green Wheel", but it wont take long for the "vandals" (for want of a less Blog friendly word) to deface them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope we've seen the last of the snow grammie.
    The black and white bird was a Magpie; and a biking video.......er, no lol

    Jan, you're so right. Bikes are a real pain. I might invest in some tin tacks lol

    Roy, it's great to see so many Chaffinches and Greenfinches about.
    Those signs are such targets for these 'erberts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your movies, and what about the bikes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your fears are unfounded but I have my doubts ... 99% don't use a bell even if they have one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I figured you wouldnt like the bikes Neither would I they scare the birds! Hope they stick to the roads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Bob.
    The bikes? I reckon they should be on the road, not a path round a lake. Too dangerous.

    You are so right Frank.

    Dixxe, my thoughts exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks as though the bridge has become the Caldecotte Lake Birdy Bistro now Keith. It was fascinating watching how the Reed Bunting continually flicks its tail - something a still photo can't show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bikes and pedestrians don't mix well. Surprised the safety elves haven't had a say in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really pleased with how popular this little bridge has become John. As soon as I put the seed down, the birds seem to appear from nowhere.

    I can't see the mix going well in the summer, when the mums are taking the little ones for a walk either Adrian.

    ReplyDelete