Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 14 January 2011

Effort

Some days it is a real effort to get up and join the human race again.

One day I might put some thoughts to paper, but for now, just a quick visit to the lake today. A dull, cloudy morning, that soon turned to rain. 
I just walked the north lake.

The main highlight was seeing two female Goosander, and a Shoveler.
The usual crew were assembled on the water, as I made my way round; Coots, Wigeon, Pochard, Gadwall and Mallard. The Crows were following my movements too, and enjoying the apple I left for them.

At the car park bridge, it was interesting to note the first lot of seed went in an hour.
Plenty of Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Greenfinch and Reed Bunting. A small flock of Goldfinch came down into the bushes, and a few Long Tailed Tits were enjoying the fat balls by the bridge.

Tomorrow’s another day.





Friday 14th from holdingmoments on Vimeo.




Full list of today’s sightings

 Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)


Total species  30 

5 comments:

  1. HOWDY Keith..Yes I understand effort..some days it is an effort to get up and face the world...many times I dont want to it do either, and I lose patience with strangers more and more let alone my immmediate circle.. Are you still having to go to work?, havent heard you mention it lately...
    NOW we can all learn a lesson from that crow..save some for later--lol I gotta wonder HOW is he going to refind that apple?
    Yesterday at the pond near here I spied some Hooded Mergansers...Such fun "trying" to get a shot of them they seemed to know I was after them..So they would submerge and come up quite a ways away..swim to one side then the other of the pond..I made about 10 circles with the car trying to keep up with them..THE lake was surrounded by a crust of icy snow so....I got one decent SHOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had the rain, like us we had some, 17mm on the gauge. Never mind. That is a big amount of birds that you have seen today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Keith, I didn't realise that Joe Crow buried food just like a Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith...that Crow was to funny ...I have never seen one do that before...I had a great laugh!! lol : }}
    Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dixxe. The 'effort' is hard some times :(
    This week I've had a week off from work; sort of holiday. Back on Monday, and 6 hours for now.
    The Crow often buries stuff. I'm sure he never remembers where though lol

    Thanks Bob. The sun came out late afternoon, so maybe a good day tomorrow.

    I've watched these Crows bury bread before Roy. They are quite comical at times.

    Thanks grammie. They are good entertainment these Crows. :)

    ReplyDelete