Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 23 January 2011

Dull Sunday

Dull and cold this morning; and joggers, boats and walkers; and a bit late with this, I fell asleep.

I walked the south lake first; the usual Pochard, Tufted Duck and Black-headed Gulls; and a few boats about too. This tends to keep the birds airborne, and unfortunately using up energy that they need for the cold evenings.

Back at the footbridge, I topped up the seed, then made my way round the south lake.
Four female Goosander were the highlights here.
At the top end, by the weir, quite a few Wigeon, amongst the Tufted Duck and Pochard, and a few Herons, trying to out fish the illegal fishermen wandering the bank.

Back at the bridge, were plenty of Chaffinch, Reed Buntings and Tits; and a group of 8 or 9 Long Tailed Tits raiding the fat ball feeders.
Considering the dull, cold weather though, there were quite a few people about.

I dread to think what summer will bring.







Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species 33

8 comments:

  1. Great stuff again Keith!

    Those Coots are a quarrelsome lot! They seem to squabble just for the sake of it I think :)

    Lovely to see all the LTTs, would a member of the public have put the fat ball feeder there in the same way you take seed?

    Good to see the Heron too, I do like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan. The fat ball feeder is a spare one I had at home. They're getting through about two a day, as well as the seed lol
    I need to win the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try and film the fighting Coots on a lake near me there great to watch as they begin to pair up but I hope to film in slowmotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Keith, but those people......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith...I am thinking the comment I try to leave earlier didn't work..had problems with it!!
    I just wanted to say how funny those Crows are they made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes...
    It's to bad that you don't have a shift where your working on the weekend and off when all the weekend people are out!! lol
    Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some beatiful birds seen on your patch. I only managed nine species today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pine siskins have been eating us out of house and home this week...Soon they will be headed north for breeding and we will get a break-- I love those Long tailed Tits so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good idea with the slowmotion Mike. I don't think my camera does that. I'll have to find the instruction book.

    Thank you Bob. Yea, it would be great if it wasn't for all those people lol

    Grammie, I thought about putting diversion signs up too lol
    Probably get into trouble for that though. :(

    Andrew, it is a great place for birds, despite all the disruption from people.

    Thanks Dixxe. I guess your Siskins go, to be replaced by another bird lol
    Never ending isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete