Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 30 January 2011

At last

When it rains, it bloody pours!!!

I'd almost completed a post,and then ........................ nothing! The computer seems to have died, and everything on it.
This is being done on a laptop that would be better off in the bin. I've managed to get on the site with the video, so I can do that bit; bt the rest is lost, till I can contact the computer doctor.

Anyway, here's todays video; and I'm going to drown in a bottle of wine.

See ya all later

I hope







Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
Mistle Thrush [sp] (Turdus viscivorus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species 35

16 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back Keith.....I miss your videos. I'm amazed by the diversity of wildlife in a relatively built up area. I think the Blackheaded Gull is by far the most common, everywhere I have been anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you feel crippled when your computer and internet aren't working? Hope you get it resolved quickly; the wine is a good start ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for you, Keith. They're wonderful tools when they're working, but hugely annoying when they're not. At least you have some fantastic wildlife to help you chill out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian. There's certainly a great variety of birds here.

    Wilma, you're so right; I'm lost without my computer. I have an awful feeling the hard drive has died; won't know for sure till tomorrow. If it has; hmmmm, that's all my stuff for this year gone. I'd backed up all last years, and this afternoon I wa going to do this months. Too late!
    More wine I think.

    Graeme, I don't hold out much hope. All my Waxwing shots gone probably; that's the most annoying thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I beleive they are chasing you down for that bread! Such a great video...SO Sorry about the computer woes...I was getting worried--wondering what could have happened! Good to see this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your computer problems Keith :{
    I guess we`re all the same, backing up is always a tomorrow job! I hope it sorts out OK.

    Great video. That Grey Wagtail is a beautiful bird and as for those Mallard, well.......! lol.

    I`m off to do some backing up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you have a backup of all your million pics ..... finger crossed that everything come back normally very soon !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had noticed a lag in your posing lately. Things always have a way of working out in time. Go for a long walk, thats what I do. My camera is always in tow and somehow I come back feeling better. I will admit, sometimes it takes an entire day alone with my camera in the mountains to feel better. (at least thats what I tell my wife) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Dixxe. I've been working mornings all week, and not had a chance to do much else. Today I was all set to do some catching up, and then.......
    Oh well. I think the most I've lost will be the month of January. Still a lot though.

    Trevor, this will be the second time I've lost my stuff. Thankfully I'd backed up most of my stuff at the end of December.

    Pescalune, I had backed all the pictures up, except for January's. Thankfully still got todays on the camera.

    Thanks Dale. Yea, I had some things to catch up on at home. A nuisance when life gets in the way lol
    Hopefully I can find out what's wrong tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith..I feel so bad I hope your computer problem is fixable!
    Remember the advice you gave me??....same as the commenter said above ...go for a long walk!!
    Take your own advice!! Go see those friendly Mallards and you Crow buddies!!
    A special Hug today!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the close up of the Grey Wagtail. Only seen one once very briefly in the garden.

    Hope the PC problem is simple, and cheap, to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea, I'm good at giving advice grammie lol
    Looks like tomorrows plan of going out will be spent getting this computer sorted. Never mind.

    Thanks John. I'm hoping this computer will not be too expensive to fix. Kind of lost without it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, it is a real bummer when you lose something very dear to you. I use 4 back ups, just if I should have to. Nice video.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Bob. I think I'll have to back up more often. I thought monthly would be ok, but I guess my machine is getting old like me lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh goodness! Everyone's worst computer nightmare :( I do hope it isn't as bad as you think. I have an external hard drive as a back up but was only thinking yesterday that I really need a back up for that too but then where do you stop! Hope the wine helped, there's nothing like a drop of the red stuff in a crisis ;) don't forget the heart though!!

    Glad you managed to put the video on, it was most enjoyable. All the ducks running towards you was so sweet, it was like the end of an old, weepy movie with all the children running towards their long lost dad :)

    Nice to see the Grey Wagtail too, a very attractive bird I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got a few external drives Jan, and it's always a scare wondering if they ever fail lol
    I'm hoping the man can work some magic tomorrow, and save my stuff.

    Those Mallards are great. They fly across the lake when they see me now lol

    ReplyDelete