Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Thursday, 16 December 2010

Thursday, and wet

A dull, miserable morning, cold and rain. Not very good.

I kept more round the car park bridge again this morning; leaving some seed, and I’ve hung up a fat ball feeder in one of the trees too. It’ll be interesting to see what that attracts.

My Crows were out for their morning feed, and so were the Mallards. I stood by the edge of the lake, in the half light of morning, and I was suddenly surrounded. They’ve certainly got used to my visits.

A great deal of the north lake has now thawed; and I guess the south lake too. The ducks and geese are really spread out now, but I managed to pick out a few through the binoculars.






Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Hooded Crow [sp] (Corvus cornix)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)

Total species  24

9 comments:

  1. It's a poor day isn't it, we have about the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith...well seems you have some friends or beggars....and I wonder why that could be?? lol : } Has somebody been feeding the birds?? Hmmm!!
    Hugs to you my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob. The rain briefly turned to snow, then stopped. A taster of what's to come, maybe.

    Thanks Grammie. They're getting very bold and fearless now lol
    I may finish up with lodgers at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been a blah day here today too..grey skies and gloomy--Never can tell who will show up for Dinner--

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate these sort of days Dixxe. Today feels cold at the moment; it's 5 a.m.
    Jim will have his walk, then later, off to the lake for an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those ducks were just superb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't believe it when they left the food, and started following me down the path Adrian. They are becoming so tame. I think they'll be waiting in the car park one day lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way to a duck's heart is through its stomach lol.

    ReplyDelete