Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Snow

A very late post today, because I got snowed in a couple of times, and I had to go to work too.

This morning started Ok. I thought a thaw was on; it seemed milder. I drove to the lake; the main roads were not too bad. Topped up the seed on the car park bridge, and made my way to the north lake. A Water Rail under the road bridge, so a good start.
The Mallards soon saw me, and wanted feeding, along with the Crows.

I carried on round the north lake, after feeding them, but not very much else to see in the gloom. Most of the lake was still frozen, and what started as rain, turned to snow, and then slowed down.

A few Coots, more Mallard, and a few Tufted Duck; and as I turned the top of the north lake, I noticed plenty of Crows and Rooks flying west to east, and lots of Gulls flying east to west.

I reached the pub, and the road bridge, and the Crows joined me, along with lots of Mallards. Feeding time again! I’m going to need a sack of seed, instead of a bag at this rate.

On towards the south lake, and the weather began to take a distinct turn for the worse.
Maybe I should of cut short the visit at this moment.
Nah. I carried on. The snow got thicker, and the visibility got worse. Eventually I couldn’t see the other side of the lake.

Hmmmm. I carried on, curious to see what was the other side of the lake, by the houses. A Shoveler flew overhead; maybe he’d decided the weather was better elsewhere.

As I turned the bottom end of the lake, I found myself in a blizzard. I’ve never seen snow come down so thick, and so fast. Well, 20 minutes walk to the car, so no point worrying about it. I carried on to the small area by the houses, that wasn’t frozen.
Mute Swan, two Black Swan, Goldeneye, Tufted Duck, Canada Geese, Mallard, Pochard, Wigeon, Gadwall; there was everything there, all packed into this small area.

I fed a few more the last of the bread and seed I had, and decided to call it a day.

Back at the car, which resembled a snow dome, I slowly joined the traffic, to make my home. Slowly being the word. Two hours to move less than a quarter mile.
Eventually I got home, after having to dig the car out of the snow a couple of times, and then it was time to go to work.
I walked in.

The strange thing is, the north of Milton Keynes escaped the snow. It seems it was all dumped where I was.

A long and tiring day today. And now I’m off to bed.






Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Black Swan (Cygnus atratus)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Common Goldeneye [sp] (Bucephala clangula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Water Rail [sp] (Rallus aquaticus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)

Total species  30

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you weren't stuck all day. Another entertaining video. Poor Coot...Maybe a broken leg. Whatever it'll not survive the first fox that spots it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my! 2 hrs to go 1/4 mile thats horrible! We heard on the forecast today we may get snow on Christmas Night- You take care and have a great Hoiday if I dont get back over before then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sad to see that Coot struggling to move Adrian, and like you say, going to be easy pickings for someone.

    Dixxe, the idiocy of some drivers didn't help much either.
    Enjoy your Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and video Keith, thats what I call true dedication, well done.
    Milton Keynes for sure got the worst of the snow yesterday, and about 13 miles from you we got hardly any!
    If that was the same Coot that I saw the day before, it has definitely perked up and is a lot more mobile (lets hope that its making a recovery and that theres not two of them suffering out there.)
    Best wishes for a Merry Christmas Keith and a great birding New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about feeding the five thousand - How long before you need a trailer for the seed? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Trevor. Dedication, or madness; one of the two lol
    Have a good Christmas too. I expect I'll be down the lake ;)

    That's not a bad idea John. I'm certainly getting through some :)

    ReplyDelete