Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 18 December 2010

Snow Saturday

The morning started cold; very cold. 

I left some seed for the birds at the car park bridge, and made my way slowly round the north lake. Big groups of birds in the unfrozen water; Coots, Mallards, Tufted Duck, Wigeon, Pochard, Gadwall, and a male Goldeneye.
The Canada Geese were very vocal, and doing a lot of flying about to the fields to the north.
A couple of Kingfishers, and a couple of Sparrowhawks, and near the top end of the lake, a Grey wagtail.
I hurried along towards the weir, and managed to catch the sunrise, in all its glory.



It really was worth getting out of breath for, to catch it.


I carried on slowly towards the pub, and found the Crows waiting to be fed. I think they know my routine better than I do. As soon as I stopped, the Mallards came over too. I’m going to have to start bringing two bags of seed at this rate.

Birds fed, I made my way across the road bridge, to check on the car park bridge, and top up the seed. I counted 6 Chaffinch amongst the tits and a couple of Robins.



The fat balls I hung up yesterday, had been found by some Great Tits and Blue Tits, so that’s good.



Onward, round the south lake. The idea was to go round, back over the road bridge, and then back to the car park. I had plenty of time today; no work, and no need to rush.
Quite a few Goosander, amongst the rest of the ducks and geese, some Redwing and Fieldfare in the trees by the boat sheds, and then snow. Light flurries at first, but then getting a bit heavier. Well, I was in no rush, so I carried on at my leisurely pace.

More Goosander out on the south lake, and a mix of gulls; Black-headed, Common, Lesser Black-backed, a few Great Black-backed, and a couple of Herring Gulls.
Some good birds seen today, despite the cold and snow.

Back at the car park bridge, I watched the birds eating the seed; and in the bushes nearby, were Goldfinch, Greenfinch, and a pair of Bullfinches. A small group of Blackbirds and Redwings were enjoying the fallen crab apples, and I watched a Song Thrush bashing the life out of a snail on the path.

Apologies for a long video, but the morning was so good, it just had to be shared.




Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Common Goldeneye [sp] (Bucephala clangula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
British Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major anglicus)
Grey Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla cinerea)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)

Total species  43


7 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful sunrise Keith, and it sounds like you had a really good time with Waterfowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. It was a great mornings outing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one Keith. How about a wheelbarrow for the seed?
    That sunrise was beautiful, I was watching it too, but ashamed to say only from my bedroom window!!
    Love to see the Geese when they`re flying, so atmospheric with the noise that they make.
    I think you`ll have to break out the snowshoes for tomorrow morning tho`!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Trevor. Going to be tough getting there tomorrow. Snow is about 6" deep at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, surreal!
    Anna :)
    PS wow for the list

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another entertaining post. The geese in the sunrise are wonderful. Can see you buying goldfish for the Kingfisher next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Anna. I had plenty of time to enjoy the lake yesterday. A great morning.

    Adrian, if I thought I could get a decent picture, I'd buy him a salmon lol
    Might be tough getting there today. A lot of snow yesterday. I may have to walk there, if I can make it.

    ReplyDelete