Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Sunday, 19 December 2010

Snow on Sunday.

An early start this morning.

I decided to walk to the lake, rather than risk driving in the snow. A steady, slippery walk saw me there about 7 a.m., and most of the lake frozen over. A few small pockets of water here and there, which was crammed with geese and ducks.




I made my way to the car park bridge, and put some seed down; then made my way round the north lake. No super sunrise today; a thick fog was descending, making it difficult to see anything.

The usual ducks were about, a couple of Kingfishers, the Crows, and plenty of Canada and Greylag geese noisily flying around the lake. First they flew to the fields, then back to where they came, then onto another spot………..it was as though they didn’t know what to do. A large flock of Tufted Duck were flying around for a long time too, searching for a spot of water to land in.

Six male Goosander flew over, and disappeared into the mist, and a Kingfisher kept me on my toes, as he flew just ahead of me each time I got closer.

By the time I reached the pub, the fog had come down quite thick. I decided to give the south lake a miss this time, and just refill the seed on the bridge, and then head home.

When I reached the car park bridge, most of the seed had been eaten, but there were a few finches about, and a Blackbird eating some fruit from a tree. More seed put down, and then I decided to make my way home, but not before I spied a Water Rail foraging under the bridge.


A cold morning; but enjoyable.







Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Water Rail [sp] (Rallus aquaticus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)

Total species  31

10 comments:

  1. I am deadly serious here...........you are wasted or should that be waisted these videos need keeping. How can anyone entertain with pitch black video footage. I love every minute of it. Send a couple to the BBC. I'm not kidding they are superb, unscripted and absolutely brilliant. The roads however are normal not to southern wuzzies maybe but to us they are. Just skiddy and slip sliddy is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Keith.....you deserve a medal being out in that this morning! You have to feel for those poor birds, at least we can get into somewhere warm. You`re doing a great job with the seed, at least it should help to see some of them over the worst of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Adrian, you're very kind.
    Maybe the new year I'll send something.
    The roads are certainly drivable with care; it's the other idiots I worry about.

    I had to go this morning Trevor, if only to put some seed down. The birds have got used to it now.
    The fat ball feeder was rather busy too, so some of them have always got that till the seed arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that the Kingfishers stayed away from each other, it must be the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It did seem strange watching today's videos without the constant roar of traffic. I'm always amazed how much wildlife inhabits any available space, even right next to motorways.

    Your filming shows just how hard the wildlife is finding the present conditions and the short day length doesn't give them long to find food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's not much unfrozen water at the lake Bob, so the Kingfishers are chancing conflicts to survive. I hope this freeze doesn't last too long.

    Thanks John. It made a change to have a silent road this morning. It's certainly tough for the wildlife at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful, frosty, deliciously freezing cold morning! I'm SO jealous. It's gets into freezing temps here, but snow is rare. Last year was something special. Not that I'd call being stuck on the highway all night special...but I did love the snow! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jen.
    I remember that episode on your blog lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning Keith...busy time for me right now I my home based job has picked up speed trying to meet a deadline so less time for me--I cant believe your dedication and I hope you had a nice warm drink on your return...Fantastic footage-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Dixxe. Yea, it was a bit cold lol

    ReplyDelete