Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Friday, 17 December 2010

Freezing Friday

A light dusting of snow last night, like icing sugar on a cake, followed by plunging temperatures, which made everywhere icy. And cold!

I put a few handfuls of seed on the car park bridge, and made my way round part of the north lake. Another quick visit, because work beckons later in the day.
I was surprised how much of the lake hadn’t frozen. Still plenty of ice free water for the ducks and geese, which means they are well spread out.

The sunrise looked like it was going to be a good one too; fiery red. A shame, because I couldn’t get to a good spot to appreciate it, so I made my way back to the car park, and concentrated my efforts on the birds there.

The Crows enjoyed some seed, and the bridge was attracting Blue Tits, Great Tits, Chaffinch, and the odd curious Magpie, that has realised there is food there. while I stood watching the bridge from a small distance, a flock of Siskins landed in some trees close by. A quick feed, and then they were gone. A Wren also flew down, close to where I stood, searching for some food.

A day off work tomorrow, so hopefully I can spend longer at the lake.




Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Eurasian Siskin (Carduelis spinus)

Total species  27


12 comments:

  1. Keith, these posts are brilliant.......I just wish I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing what you view . Thankyou so much for sharing this and transporting me over the pond to your country. Love it.
    Hope you get time out to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adrian. I'm sure you could ;)

    Thank you Lisa. Glad you enjoyed the visit :)
    I'll be back there in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith....I am so glad you still are getting in these walks at the lake even though you don't always have a lot of time..enjoy them very much!!
    Weekend,and you have more time. : }!!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it was a fair old frost last night Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pocket full of seeds, well, I don't know what a pocket is for, more seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks grammie. Yea, looking forward to tomorrow, and spending some more time at the lake.

    Freezing cold tonight too Roy. Just hope the threatened snow misses us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right Bob. Plenty of seed needed this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if you will ever get a crow to eat out of your hand Keith. It has been a bitterly cold day here also. I wish I could hibernate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be great John, having one eat from my hand. Not as gentle as a Robin With that massive beak, I'd think lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recent posts Keith. How about table place names for those crows!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Trevor. Maybe a name competition is in order? ;)

    ReplyDelete