Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 21 December 2010

A double

Roads are still bad today, and with a day off work, I decided to walk over to the lake.
It’s hard going in the snow, and certainly gets the heart pumping!

Since most of the north lake is frozen, I concentrated my efforts on the south lake, after putting some seed at the car park bridge. This is becoming a great spot now, for Chaffinch, Dunnock, Robin, Blue Tit and Great Tits. Plenty of Blackbirds in the trees too.

Under the road bridge is almost all frozen now, except for a small area, where two Mute Swans were sleeping. The south lake was covered in ice too, except for one area by the boat sheds, close to the houses. This was packed with a Shoveler, Tufted Ducks, Swans, three Goldeneye, Little Grebes, Great Crested Grebes, Canada and Greylag Geese, and………two Black Swans! What a treat to see them.


Pair of Goldeneye

I spent a while there, watching the geese leave, and more Tufted Duck arriving. It was quite busy, for such a small area.
Eventually I made my way back to the car park bridge, to top up the seed, before I left, to make my walk home.

And down by another footbridge, I stopped off to watch a couple of Water Rails, as they scurried to and fro on the ice.



Since I’ve been coming here, I’ve got to know quite a few people that walk their dogs, and today, as I was talking to one man, he mentioned he’d just seen a long legged bird, like a Heron, fly from the reeds, and across the lake. This one was a bit smaller though, and brown.
Another Bittern!!

Great news, but a shame I didn’t see it.


No video today. I took some, but YouTube is being a twat again, and blogger is taking too long. It's pissing me off. Dunno why I bother.





Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Black Swan (Cygnus atratus)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Common Goldeneye [sp] (Bucephala clangula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Water Rail [sp] (Rallus aquaticus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)

Total species  38

9 comments:

  1. Cor, you have so many birds, Water Rail and so many more. It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got out Keith. After last year this could become normal. It is hard work but after a month of it sitting outside of an evening in summer will be all the more appreciated.
    It's a damned sight better than damp, mist and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith..sounds like things are a little troublesome weather wise there!!
    I am still alive..will here from me today or for you probably tommorrow!!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certain times of day seem to be problematic Keith. I found that generally late night or early morning were better - when North America is asleep - as I think the volume of stuff being uploaded is less then.
    Sometimes I have to resort to using my Photobucket account though they don't have the same range of choices for display size. I end up altering the numbers for video width and height in the html code after I paste it in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don`t give up on the videos Keith, we couldn`t cope with the withdrawal symptoms lol.
    I took a walk around both lakes today, from 11a.m. onwards, I guess you were back home in the warm by then!! What a hard time the birds must be having with both lakes almost completely frozen over.
    Nice to see the Black Swans are back. I also saw two male Goosanders do a couple of flybys before disappearing over the North Lake. I also saw a Coot with a badly frost bitten foot (left), poor thing couldn`t stand or walk.
    Btw I topped up the seed on the footbridge as I passed by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its nice to get a look at the Rail and get a shot of it Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob. Yea, I'm very lucky living so close to such a great lake.

    Thanks Adrian. Yea, it's preferable to damp weather, but I hope it doesn't last too long. The poor birds are being hit hard at the moment.

    Thanks grammie. The snow makes it awkward to get around, but not impossible while I can walk lol

    Cheers John. The annoying thing is, a large video takes a while, (this was 11 minutes, and loads of birds), and when it gets to 98% and then fails, I feel like chucking the pc out the window lol
    Bloggers own video upload took 40 mins, and was still going when I cancelled.

    Trevor, I'll see how tomorrows video goes, but my patience isn't very good at the best of times lol
    It's heartbreaking to see some of these birds suffering in this weather. I think the Kingfishers are going to be hit very hard soon.
    Thanks for topping up the seed on the bridge.
    I must have just missed you.

    Thanks Roy. I stood on the bridge for ages trying to get a shot of him. They certainly move quick when they want to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you use the Advanced Video Upload option? Doesn't stop the glitches where the upload hangs for a while but does seem to recover OK from a long pause.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually use just the bog standard upload.
    I'll give that a try John, thanks.

    ReplyDelete