Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Monday, 29 November 2010

Last visit for a while

A bitterly cold morning, and since Jim had me awake early, and I didn’t have to be in work till 10 a.m. ………………………………..

Well, I couldn’t keep away. I scraped the frost and ice from the car windscreen, and headed over to the lake. I concentrated on just the water birds this morning, I only had about an hour, before I had to leave, and get ready for work, pick up a prescription, and make an appointment to see a doctor, about a reaction to some of the tablets I’m on.

So, a rushed visit, but glad I went.
All the birds were concentrated under the road bridge, since that hadn’t frozen over yet. It was still dark when I got there, but I figured by about 7, it might be getting just light enough to see what was on the water.

Black-headed Gulls were leaving their roost, and flying overhead, along with a few Canada and Greylag Geese, heading to the fields to the north. With so many ducks crammed into a small area it was quite noisy; even above the traffic thundering overhead.

A Kingfisher made an appearance on the other side of the lake, and sat in the bushes for a while. After a few minutes, another appeared, but was quickly chased away. I’m guessing the second bird was looking for somewhere to fish, since his territory was frozen over.

Wigeon were whistling, and the Coots and Mallards were calling, and then the Crows arrived. Like old friends, they turned up to see what food I had. They were in luck. A bag of seed in my pocket, gave them a quick breakfast.

And then, unfortunately, it was time to go. Not as many birds seen as usual, but enough to keep me going for today.





Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)

Total species  20


8 comments:

  1. Keep rubbing it in about those Kingfishers Keith :) while I turn an even deeper shade of green :)

    What a nice surprise, I wasn't expecting this post (thanks Jim ;) ) That was true dedication, going out before your first day back at work, hopefully it set you up for the day.

    I do like the whistle of the Wigeon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith... kind of a bitter sweet morning..huh!!
    Those Crows are some funny,really got used to you!!
    Hope your day went well,and will miss the early morning walks with you!!
    Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I couldn't believe it when I saw two this morning in the one area lol
    Yea, it was quite emotional going there this morning, knowing it would possibly be the last visit for a few days. Have to see what tomorrow brings lol
    And the Wigeon, yea, love the sound they make. Always reminds me of a winters morning.

    Grammie, it felt good, standing there in the half light, straining to see the ducks, and listening to their calls. If it all had come to an end right then, it would have been perfect.
    The Crows were marvellous, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith, what a surprise,I knew it wouldn`t be long before you got back to those birds,but not quite this soon. lol. Just remember to take it easy tho`. Love to see the Kingfishers, but unlike you, getting up early these cold mornings is proving to be a problem. (any chance of renting out Jim for a couple of days?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Trevor. It is so hard to keep away from there. Jim had me awake at 3 a.m. this morning.
    At that moment I would have gladly given him away lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the Crows and Mallards are going to miss their early morning breakfasts Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the time you read this you'll have your second day down--Nice Vid of the birds and the weekend is only 3 days away now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're right John. I'll miss them too.

    Thank you Dixxe. Unfortunately I have to work Saturday; but I'm off Sunday, so a full day at the lake :)

    ReplyDelete