Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Last day of November

I can’t keep away from here.

Had some overnight snow; not very much, just enough to make everywhere look wintry. I decided on a very quick visit to the north lake, and a look under the road bridge where a lot of the ducks had been gathered.

Almost the first bird I saw, was the female Smew. Good to see her still there. A lot of Tufted Duck, Mallard, Wigeon and Gadwall there too, and a few Great Crested Grebes, along with some Little Grebes.
I followed the path around the lake, but most of the water was still frozen. The Kingfisher who fishes up by the island, flew across the path, probably searching for somewhere to fish. My companions, the Crows, were around, and a couple of Herons looking rather forlorn and fed up.



With nothing to see on the ice, apart from a few Moorhen and Black-headed Gulls walking about, I quickly got back to the road bridge, and a better view of what was in the unfrozen water. A Shoveler was swimming amongst the ducks there, I presume the one from further down the south lake, and a Goosander took off in the distance, and flew overhead. A few Cormorants, and a lot of Coots, and then it was almost time to leave.

A good visit, even though it was rushed.






Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Smew (Mergellus albellus)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)

Total species  24

7 comments:

  1. A lovely Shoveler that you shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. He came quite close to the shore, so it made it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...cool video! It's amazing how seeing a video brings something to life. I'm going to have to try videoing the Little Miami one of these days. Loved the grebe and the shoveler. I usually can't get that close too them. (Cormorants always remind me of the Loch Ness also!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelly. I think the only reason I managed to get so close, is so much of the water is frozen, and they all concentrate into the one area. Can't help but feel sorry for them as they struggle through this weather.
    Hope you do some video of the Little Miami, I'd love to see that. Always interesting to see the places others do their birding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Keith,glad you are still able to supply our daily fix. It just shows how dedicated you are to your birding, when us lesser mortals are still tucked up in our beds !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was I surprised to see this post? No! :) I wish I had the motivation to tackle early mornings like you do and it's no good blaming Jim ;) I'm sure you would visit early anyway, as you say you can't keep away!

    Another great video and that is three of us who are agreed on the Loch Ness Cormorant :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Trevor. I do enjoy this place. I went this morning, before work, and then back again, after work lol
    Got home about 4 p.m., and not sorted any pictures out yet.

    Thanks Jan. It's hard to keep away from there.
    Yea, the Cormorants always remind me of the Loch Ness Monster when I see them in the water lol

    ReplyDelete