Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 17 November 2010

In search of Gulls



This morning Jim woke me at 3 a.m.; he must have known it wasn’t foggy outside.
I tried to ignore him, but by half three I had to get up, and let him outside. No fog.
Maybe I’ll see the gull roost.

I arrived at the lake an hour before the sun was due to rise, but it was so cloudy, and a little windy, it was going to be difficult to see anything. Video at the end.

I made my way round the south lake, to where I thought I’d get a good view. The Blackbirds and Robins were early risers too, singing as I made my way round. I could hear a few gulls in the dark distance, but then realised they seemed to be nearer the edge on the other side of the lake. Quick change of plan, and I breathlessly made my way back round to the other side. A Heron rose up from the reeds, at the side of the lake, scolding me as I passed. Maybe I woke him up?

Passing a lot of Coots and Tufted Duck, I eventually made my way to where I thought the gulls were. Well, they were, sort of; but nearer the side I’d just left. Oh well, never mind. I managed to see through the half-light, and watched as the Black-headed Gulls left the roost. The Lesser Black-backed stayed a while longer, and possibly a few Great Black-backed Gulls there too. Not very good at gull ID, but they looked pretty big, and darker than the others.

A large group of Canada Geese amused me for a while, and another big group of Tufted Duck, Coots and Pochard, down near the far end. About six big groups of Starlings flew overhead; I’m guessing they roost nearby.
I made my way back towards the car park, the idea being to go round the north lake, and finish off with the south lake too. A fair distance, but I tell myself the exercise is good. A Buzzard made his way slowly over the lake, heading south, as I went north.

Pretty much the usual sightings as I carried on; a big group of Long Tailed Tits in the trees by the car park, a few Crows that seem to follow me now, (must be the apples), and even more Tufted Ducks on the water.




Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Buzzard [sp] (Buteo buteo)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)

Total species  29

12 comments:

  1. Another entertaining video Keith. Perhaps you should give the birds a little encouragement, how about, STAND BY....CAMERA....ACTION!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Keith...you need to get Jim to sleep in a bit...he needs his clock rewound...and you do to!!
    You have me even reading your post with your words having an English accent in my head now..I'll get it after awhile.. lol lol : } ; }
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Trevor. It was a shame it was so cloudy this morning, it would have been lighter earlier.
    I think I've worked out the best place now to get the roost. :)

    Grammie, I wish I could get Jim to sleep in a bit longer at times. I don't need an alarm clock with him; it's usually about 4 a.m. he wakes :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith, you get better. Footage of....careful here.......next to nothing. Let me into a wee secret do you voice over. Whatever it is wonderful. Keep this up you are definitely BBC employable. Don't forget to comment when you find something you really want to find. Can't wait for that moment.
    Hope you don't mind......Grammie that is not an English accent....our queen and politicians have those..........Keiths is different but normal. more or less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Adrian. Yea, it was pretty dark this morning, wasn't sure if it was worth doing.
    The commentary is done as it happens, and sometimes I've had to leave a few clips out, when I've got a little overexcited.
    (maybe I'll leave one in one day)
    I don't know where some of these words come from though! lol
    The accent is, er, sort of English, but without the refinements ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keith, in a few weeks you have cracked it. prefer you to prince william anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Jim has you exactly where he wants you Keith :)

    Great stuff again, you always have me smiling throughout. It's funny Grammie should say that, I too 'hear' your voice now when I read your posts!

    I see by your list you didn't claim the Great Black-backed Gull in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're right Jan lol
    He's definitely the boss, and always gets his own way.
    Yea, I was fairly sure it was a Great Black-backed Gull, but not certain enough to list it. It's the same with birds heard; if I don't see them, I don't list them. A lot of Robins and Blue Tits escape like that lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time I have seen one of your video's Keith although it was dark your humour was really entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise right? I love early mornings-
    Great video for your trouble too!! Thank Jim for us!
    Im of the opposite if I heard it and IM Certain of what it is ITs on the List!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Bob. Glad you enjoyed it. Good fun doing them.

    Thanks Dixxe. I think if I put the ones down I heard, I'd have a much bigger list at times lol

    ReplyDelete